PRESERVING Our Way of Life. . .

Hello my friends,
with Memorial Day approaching my thoughts have turned to those valiant men and woman who served in the armed forces to help
PRESERVE
our way of life.
 
I've always had a weakness for things that are unusual or a bit quirky.  So when I spied a Navy life preserver at Urban Renewal, a fun and unique shop in St. George, UT I just had to have it!
 
 
It was time worn and I loved the bits of red showing through.  There was only this one and a plain white one.  I inquired as to whether or not it was authentic or if someone had painted it.  I got the answer that I was hoping for, "Oh, it's real.  We had a few of them and they have flown out of here".  See, I'm not the only one that likes unusual things.
 
I could hardly wait to use it on my mantle!  I started adding a few nautical things that I already had.  I painted the anchor on the thrift find pizza paddle a couple years ago.  The little sailboat has been in my Americana themed guest bedroom.  Which originally was our youngest sons bedroom at our previous home.
 
 
Last trip I took to get estate sale items from Aunt Bunnies estate we came across this dictionary.  I knew I had to buy it!
 
 
 
 
According to Webster:
 
Preserve means to Maintain (something) in it's original or existing state.

Many have given their lives serving our country in order
to do just that!

Buoy am I ever so thankful for their service!! :)


I love adding a bit of whimsy!  Something that doesn't always make sense.  That would be this shaving mug and a couple of shaving brushes.  I have a small collection of about 6 or 8.  I picked up the mans comb at an estate sale last year.  I love the red/blue
graphics on it.



 

I have an Americana banner I made a few years ago that I will add when I pull out my 4th of July boxes.

 
The flags had to come out for Memorial Day.

 
I added one of my Americana quilts to a small ladder.  I always smile when I pull this one out.  It's one of the first quilts I made and I lost so many of my points.  You quilters know what
 I'm talking about.
I brought the corbels home from Charleston last year and I love them!  They get moved around here and there.
 
 
 
My "Preserving Life" mantle is my salute to those who have served.
 
So loving that life preserver!!


 
 Happy Memorial Day!
 
Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
 
Vintage Charm
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

19 comments

Stacey said...

Such a perfect patriotic touch. :)

Anonymous said...

Jann, what a wonderful memorial hearth! You really hit the jackpot with the life preserver!

Connie said...

Jann your mantel and hearth are perfect.
Happy Memorial Day!
Connie :)

Rita C at Panoply said...

Jenn, that's stunning! The quilt and the life preserver, the flags....God Bless America.

Art and Sand said...

What a fun and patriotic display. Of course I love all the red, white & blue.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

Wow, Jann, what a super cool display - you are beyond creative!! I love this for Memorial Day!!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

How sweet of you to do this patriotic mantle to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.....for us! Love the life preserver, it is perfect. Have a beautiful weekend!!!

Jeanie said...

This is not only a perfect Memorial Day mantle but you can use it for July 4, too! And I love all the pretty details. Very clever and loads of fun!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I am so loving that preserver too....what a great find! Your mantel looks fabulous. You have so much in your stockpile to make whatever theme you want on that great mantel! I feel better...I am not the only one that keeps and changes out my décor pieces constantly :-)

Louca por porcelana said...

Great and beautiful tribute!Have a lovely weekend,Jann!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
I love this!! Very creative!! Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!!
Hugs,
Deb

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a find! That life preserver is the perfect accent for your mantle and theme for Memorial Day! I love your whimsy additions to the collection too, it all goes together beautifully! Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

20 North Ora said...

What a lovely tribute to Memorial Day and it will be perfect to go right on in to 4th of July.

Judy

My thrift store addiction said...

Your patriotic mantel is really fun! Thanks for sharing @Vintage Charm!

The Charm of Home said...

What a great mantel. love that dictionary! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

April Stephens said...

Love, love, love all this red, white, and blue. Beautiful job!

Melissa said...

Jann, I love the navy life preserver-- what a nice find! I've been in Urban Renewal a couple times on our way to/from our cabin. Great store!

Sandi Magle said...

All this is totally charming. I love the unexpected and yet everything
fits perfectly and represents our history as well as those who have served.
Grins, glad i'm catching up to some posts from last week, Sandi

Kim said...

I can't imagine you liking the unusual or quirky, Jann. =) Love your Memorial Day display. I do believe no-one does a holiday-scape quite like you, lovely Jann; it is perfection personified!

Instagram