Dreams Do Come True–Living Room Reveal

Lately I feel like saying to myself, “Yes, Cinderella dreams do come true”.
Here’s my Cinderella story:
Ever since we moved into our new home in July of ‘2009’ I have wanted to give it more of a cottage feel.
Gradually I am doing a little here and there.  Last week we finished our beadboard project in our living room.
These are the French doors leading into our living room.  First I need to explain something and then we’ll take a peek inside.  Our entire home was painted cream walls with tan moldings.  I am a lover of white and would like to change this.  At first I thought that I would repaint all of the moldings white in the living room.  But then, Houston we have a problem!  Our home is so open that it makes it difficult.  For instance if I paint the inside of the French door white then I need to paint the outside.  Problem – the entry leads right into the family room and kitchen.  No where to stop without doing it all.  I’ve decided that will happen at a later date.
IMG_5824
IMG_5823
Come on in, I would love your opinion.
This is the first thing you will see when you open the doors.  I usually always leave the doors open.  Hubby installed bead board on the ceiling and one wall.
IMG_5810
My friend, Joyce had put a shelf in her living room like this.  I loved it, but thought that I would just do bead board all the way up so it would be different.  Houston, another problem.  Our walls are 9 ft.  Bead board was only 8.  We cut it down a bit and added the shelf.  So happy that I did!  The mirror, old door shelf, and corbels are new to this room.  I already had the pictures, and old tin.  I decided to still hang them up.  What do you think, would you like it better without?
The ceiling is my favorite thing.  It caused us a lot of pain and grief, but so worth it in the end!
IMG_5892
The shelf is ideal for displaying my collection of plates and some teacups and pots.  Most of them are vintage.  I painted the walls a pale yellow, Plantation Beige by Kwall Howell. I love the muted tone.
IMG_5811
IMG_5813
IMG_5812
To the left is my sofa and table.  The wall behind is the same yellow, it’s hard to tell in this picture.
IMG_5817
If you look to the right you will see my old chippy table in front of the window.  I placed on it a $3 estate sale handmade table topper.  Look at that edge, love it!  My coffee filter wreath hangs on a holder made from an old post spindle. White wire basket holds more plates.
2012-03-13 Living Room & tackle box1
2012-03-13 Living Room & tackle box
I thought that the pictures helped tie in the black with the floor lamp and basket that holds books.
IMG_5819
This red shelf hangs over the sofa.
IMG_5820
This cabinet made from an old window houses my collection of red glassware.
IMG_5826
My gardener nutcracker is a souvenir from Germany. An old mini lantern and a brick expressing my love for ‘vintage’.
IMG_5816
I made the burlap pillows for my sofa, the cream one I bought from my hairdresser, Shalona.
IMG_5829
IMG_5828
IMG_5815
IMG_5809
For now I’ve decided that I don’t mind the tan baseboards.
IMG_5825
One last picture.  My friend, Joyce came and moved the shutters to the same side so that it wasn’t so even.  Wondered if we would like it better?  What do you think?  Gotta admit, I am kind of an even Steven kind of gal.
IMG_5891
There you have it, my dream come true cottage living room.  When my SIL saw it she gave me the best compliment I could ever ask for.  She said, “It looks like it came right out of a Romantic Homes magazine”  Maybe, not quite, but I am loving the new look!

*This is an old post I am sharing with Nancy's party,http://www.ajoyfulcottage.com/2014/02/every-room-in-house-party-2.html .  Happy to say that Share Your Cup is still going strong!

2nd dream come true is not nearly as long.  Ever since I found my first linky party last May I have been dreaming of hosting my own.
Well, Cinderella let’s do it!  I’m going for it and it will start Thursday March 22nd. (Link up will start on Mar. 21st at 4:00 MST)  Please I would love for you to come share something that helped fill your cup this week for:
Shareyourcup-1
My only problem now is deciding which crown I will wear to the ball! lol!
IMG_5886
Hope to see you back to party with me!
Hugs,
Jann
I will be sharing with:
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Angie at Knick of Time for Knick of Time Tuesday
Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for Tea Time Tuesday (I thought I would share my teapots and cups)

43 comments

Angela said...

I'm loving it all..the baseboards DO look awesome. I'm an even steven too kinda gal..lol

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,
WOW, I LOVE it!!! Your dream room is so beautiful and reminds me of someone YOU! You have put your very lovely style to this room...So heartwarming!
The bead board ceiling and focal wall are gorgeous...Just fantastic in adding that cottage charm to your room. Love the new paint colour too, what a great background colour for all of your collectibles, that shelf/plate rail is so very perfect. I do love the old chippy natural finishes too! I think you & your hubby have done a fantastic job on this room... Which leads me to think that this is only the start of more romantic cottage charm to come in your future! The party sounds like it will be something to look forward to every week!
Good for you!
Enjoy!
All the Best,
Christine

Susan said...

Oh I think your wall and room are so beautiful. I love the shelf. I am like you I like it even as well.

Shari said...

I love this -- it's totally my style!

I also agree that I prefer the shutters with one on each side. It goes beyond symmetry for me, though. It makes it seem more window-like, if that makes sense??

And I can't wait to hear more about your linky party!

Gina said...

Oh Jann, your living room looks beautiful! I love the beadboard!

Old Time Cindy said...

I love beadboard. We added it to our kitchen. I like how you added it to your ceiling. We've talked about doing that...someday.

Unknown said...

Beadboard ceiling! Be still, my heart -- how wonderful! Your room looks so lovely and comfy.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely cozy room you have created for your family!!! I love the beadboard what you did to the ceiling! That shelf is absolutely amazing and will take it off your hands when you get tired of it!!

My sister has the same couch and chair fabric as you do! You made me miss her and her pretty living room-

bee blessed
mary

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, Jann, I love it! I love beadboard and I love your shelf! What a sweet place to display all your pretties. I'm kind of an even Steven girl too. But the room looks wonderful; great job!

Blessings,
Sandi

chateau chic said...

You definitely have the cottage feel and look going on in your living room. Your shelf and mirror made out of architectural items is fabulous! And I love the shelf around the ceiling for plates. What a warm and inviting room you have created.
Mary Alice

Grammy Goodwill said...

Oooh, I love everything about your room, starting with those French doors. I looked and looked at those shutters and I really can't decide. I like them both ways. I'm no help, am I?

Linda E. Pruitt said...

Love your living room and I think the shutters on one side is better! but, then,if it were my house, my hubby would insist that they were symetrical.

NanaDiana said...

Hi Jann- I've been out blog hopping today and I just stumbled across your blog and I adore it! I am your newest follower and I read every word of your post. I am an "even steven" kinda gal, also, but I really do like the shutters both together on one side...but then I think you kinda need something tall on the other side too! Back to that old eve steven srt of thing-

Hope you are having a great Sunday- Hugs- Diana

ellen b said...

Wonderful! I love all the beadboard!
enjoy...

Snap said...

Well done! Love the beadboard and your shelf.

A Garden of Threads said...

Looks wonderful, you have a done a great job. I like it.

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook said...

Looks wonderful, came out very pretty! I love the beadboard.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Nicely done! Wishing you a wonderful week! Cathy

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

do you really want us to SAY??? this always makes me nervous! I would definately leave the shutters on each side of the mantel. And I think the black pictures are too heavy together. I would either put one on each side and put the tin elsewhere...or I would find something that would be more the color of the tin. That is just a suggestion...if you love it the way it is...you should keep it that way...your room is stunning and I am crazy about the ceilings.

Vee said...

I think you've created just what you wanted. Great solution with the bead board going up and then the shelf added to make up the difference. It looks custom all the way!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

It's fabulous! I can't believe you put bead board on the ceiling...OMG, that was a lot of work!! Love the window cabinet and shelf. I took a quick look at your pillow with the red rick rack and thought it was smiling at me!

Carol

Diane Mars said...

I think everything looks beautiful, I love the shelf great idea, breadboard is always a great accent to any home, and I must say you and your hubby did a great job! Hugs, Diane

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

JAN,
I LOVE your "new" Living Room!
I adore all the different colors of the various things in the room. Love the beadboard and the shelf and the ceiling is to die for!
I agree that I think the tan moulding should stay. It is such a cozy and welcoming home and I could just picture us there having a cup of tea together.
Now what's this about your linky party?
Please email me please with the details because I would love to join!!

Hugs,
Deb

Shannon said...

Over the top beautiful!

Jane said...

Love your redo! Totally cottagey. Light, airy and colourful. The plate shelf adds a lot to the room - and I like the baseboards in tan.

Ann said...

My favorite is the beadboard of course, we did that in our sunroom and its the best decorating we have ever done. I adore the mirror--fantastic chippy accents. Were all so different but I like the shutters like they are. Its a beautiful room-you should be proud of what you accomplished.
Ann

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

You have done an amazing job. It looks cozy and colourful. I know that you will enjoy it for a long time. V

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

I love it all. It has a wonderful cottage feel to it. And that ceiling is to die for.
As for your question, I vote for the shutters at opposite ends for balance???? But that's just my humble opinion.
Great job on your beautiful Cottage. : )
M.L.

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

The bead board is fantastic! I love the added shelf. Beautiful room indeed.

Dee

Anonymous said...

I must be even steven also, from the pic I like the shutters on each side, but might have a different opinion in real. It looks wonderful. Jeanne

Terriea Kwong said...

REALLY very country style I dream for. I scrolled top and down. Love every piece and corner. The pillows, ceramics, wall displays and everything is so match. Thought you love tulips a lot. I love it too. Reading your blog is as pleasant as holding a home decoration magazine.

Jessica said...

Love the beadboard! Your room does look like it came from a magazine - good job! I too like the shutters one on each side, it would drive me crazy to have it be uneven! Have a great day and thanks for sharing!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

So many wonderful details. It is very romantic cottage! I am loving the bead board and the shelf for your dishes! Very nice! I also love the yellow, its just the right shade. As far as your shelf made from the old door, it is just way too cool! I love it! And I like the shutters balanced on both sides, but the one side still looks pretty. The fact that you can tie burlap in, is really cool. Lots of great things in this room! I am so happy for you.
Blessings,
Susie

Wendy@Once upon a rose haven said...

Your hubby did a great job! I love the beadboard...it looks beautiful!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Your makeover has produced a cozy room. I like the tea things on display.

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful room! I love the beadboard wall and the beautiful mirror and shelf. The plate rail at the top of the beadboard is perfect for your collectible plates etc. I think it looks very cottagey and cozy. Happy spring! Pamela

Beth said...

Hi Jann, Your home is beautiful! You are very blessed (and a talented visionary). Love the cabinet you made from the old windows. I really like the shelf with your collectible plates too, and the cloche with Easter eggs is so colorful.
Hugs, Beth

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Happy Spring, Jann! I commented the other day but wanted to come and thank you for sharing this with us at Tea Time so all my ladies could see the fabulous job you've made of this room! Love all the elements and your collection of tea things looks wonderful on display on the shelf! Enjoy the week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Mary Howell Cromer said...

It looks so charming and so much work has been done. I wish sometimes that I could begin again, yet at my age...no way;)

Bonnie said...

I love this room. It's cozy. Since you asked, I like symmetry and I think the shutters look great just the way you had them.

Johanna Gehrlein said...

Hi Jann,
you have a really inviting and cozy home. I like your beadboard and how you display your treasures.
Best greetings, Johanna

Nancy said...

Very, very cottagey, Jann. Love this room. Thanks for sharing at Every Room In The House. Hug ~ Nancy

Nancy said...

Jann, if you have a chance stop by Every Room In the House this month. Here's the link: http://www.ajoyfulcottage.com/2014/03/every-room-in-house-party-3.html
I've featured your charming living room. Hugs, my friend ~ Nancy

Instagram