Sensational Swap!

A couple of months ago I was blog hopping.  Somehow I ran across Marsha from The Tattered Chick

I became ecstatic when I saw that she was sponsoring a market tote swap.  I immediately signed up.  As I began reading the specifications and saw that the tote was just mini and should only be a 5 x 7 or 5 x 8 I wasn’t quite sure what you did with such a mini tote.

Then I discovered Marsha’s collection and read how wonderful they are for holding thrifting essentials, like money. lol!

I quickly started thinking of ideas for my swap partner, Kristen from Finding Joy in the Middle

This is what I came up with.  Now normally I would show what I received first, but I’m afraid that if you saw how fabulous it was you wouldn’t even take a look at the one I made, seriously it’s that wonderful!

IMG_5943 

Using bits and pieces of fabric, vintage lace and old buttons & charm from my stash.

IMG_5942

At first I put two different flowers on the tote.  Decided it was just not anything to wow you.  My SIL had seen this birdcage idea in a Somerset magazine and put it on a tag.  I decided to stitch one on the tote. Finally, I reached something I felt was kind of cute.  I tucked a couple of bird tags inside the card and off it went.

IMG_5945

If you agree and think mine is kind of cute, wait till you see the tote(s) I received!  Yes, I said totes.

Kristen sent me two absolutely darling totes.  The first one is so fantastic.  At first I actually thought she had bought it.  Her work is so professional looking!

IMG_5979

Just look at that upholstery fabric, the leather handles, the vintage looking tag, and the charms hanging down.  There is a shovel, a watering can, and a flower.  Hard to believe that this girl doesn’t know me, right?

2012-03-31 flrs

The second one is just as unique and so cute!  It is hand knitted. 

Notice the card?  She had me from hello!

IMG_5980

I do not knit so this to me is truly a work of art.  Look at the darling fabric lining. The cute scallop design is so sweet, and what’s not to love about a pearl button?

IMG_5981

IMG_5982

I definitely think I got the better end of the deal.  Oh, she also sent me a sweet mini tea set.  Two of the pieces got broken in the mail, but I will certainly display the rest. 

IMG_5984

Thank you Kristen for my darling treasures and

Thank you Marsha for the fun swap!  If you want to see more totes, hop over and visit her!

If  you haven’t linked up for my “Share Your Cup Thursday”, it’s not too late.  Scroll down to the previous post and join in.  I’d love to have you share!

Hugs,

Jann

Sharing with:

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

29 comments

Joanne said...

What daling totes! I think yours is beautiful too. I love the bird cage stitching idea!
Blessings, Joanne

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Absolutely beautiful totes! I love looking at all the different styles, each one unique and beautiful!

If you haven't yet, link up so everyone can come visit!!

xoxo

21 Wits said...

They are stunning totes, and each one has it's own charm. Very nice!

In The Old Road said...

My goodness, those are gorgeous. I love the birdcage and bird on yours. And the mix in fabrics is such a good idea. Great job! Dang, I wish I could sew :)

Art and Sand said...

All of the totes are lovely and cannot be compared. I will have to find out more so I can join in on one of these swaps.

Diane Writes said...

I love totes Jann! And you definitely have one of the most beautiful totes I've ever seen.

Terriea Kwong said...

All are darling pieces. Your one made with vintage fabric and with bird cage is gorgeous. Love these mini tote bags.

andrea@townandprairie said...

SSOOOO sweet! I wish I could sew! They are darling! Would be so cute as a weekend bag!

NanaDiana said...

OH- What sweet, sweet totes! Every one of them is lovely and unique! What a fun swap to have joined. xo Diana

Jane said...

What a fab idea! LOVE them all - such creativity :)

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I just love the tote you made!! I'd grab it up in an instant! The totes you received were very special too!
Fun swap!
Hugs,
Courtney

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Don't sell you self short, Jann ~ you did a great job on your tote! I love the fabrics you used. Great flower and I love the birdcage design.

The French Hutch said...

Your totes are adorable! I love your fabric choices and the designs. You are a creative gal. Lovely gifts too.
Happy Easter.

Emily
The French Hutch

Pondside said...

Such a good idea! Yours is lovely - you must have had such fun working on it.

eileeninmd said...

You are talented, I love your cute birdcage tote. All three are lovely totes. And yes you can use my mosaic, I think it is neat that were able to make a birdhouse like mine. I would like to see it. Thanks and have a great week ahead.

podso said...

I think your market tote is marvelous. I love the bird and birdcage! What a cute idea! Thanks for comment on my blog!

Vee said...

I've not see any finer as I wander through Blogdom. I think these are wonderful for flea markets or whenever a big purse is too much of a hindrance.

Sue said...

What fun totes you received! And the one you created is adorably cute, as well. I have so many totes that could be revamped if I only made the time. Every time we go to the international furniture market, the vendors hand them out. But who wants to carry around a bag touting the name of a company? It's more fun to see pretty, embellished bags like yours. Now, if I could only get going.... :-)

A Garden of Threads said...

Awesome idea, yours is soooo cute. Have a great week:)

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Yippie!! You guys had a great swap! Jann, don't sell yourself short! That little tote you made is original, inspired, charming and sweet! I just adore it! And your swap partner sent you equally lovely toes! Isn't is just amazing the wonderful talent out in blog land! and a tiny tea set to boot!
Blessings,
Susie

ellen b. said...

What a fun swap! BTW...yours is very cute, indeed! Enjoy your goodies...

Stephanie said...

I love the tote you made. It is just charming and the birdcage was so very creative.

My Dream Canvas said...

Lovely tote! I would love for you to visit me at My Dream Canvas :-) You have a lovely blog.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty - you did a great job on yours!
Thanks for stopping by and nice comment and reading along. Hope I don't get to boring for you, as I tend to ramble sometimes. :D I will be back when have more time to check out more of your posts.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I was impressed with all of them. Wow. V

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Really neat purses. I have made quite a few boiled wool purses in the past, always a hit too. Happy Easter season~

imquilternity said...

You're very creative! I love the birdcage idea and the little tail feathers are darling. I'm impressed.

Becs said...

Jann, what an adorable tote you made! I love the fabrics and the stitching! you did a fantastic job. And the totes Kristin made you are great! She is quite a seamstress! Lovely ...Becs

alveen said...

Hi Jann... I joined Marsha's tote swap too. I had to put my thinking cap on but found it fun. Love the tote you made, especially the bird's tail. Weren't you a lucky one to received not one but two lovely totes! Shame the little tea set got damaged but what survived is really cute. Nice to have found you.
Hugs Alveen

Instagram