Be Still My Heart!!!

Yesterday was a holiday here in Utah.  July 24th is ‘Pioneer Day’, the day we celebrate the arrival of the pioneers into the Utah valley.

I’ve  been having a hankering to go to the damaged goods store, NPS.  I hadn’t been there for a few months.  You might remember that my friends and I refer to it as ‘Train Wreck’.  Knowing that hubby would have the day off Weds. I asked him if he wanted to go.  Surprisingly, he said, ‘yes’.

Now, this is a store that you NEVER know what you are going to find.  For some uncanny reason on the way up I was telling hubby that sometime I wanted to find an old cabinet to go in the craft room.  One that I could sit my Featherweight machine on.  Something with cubbies, and you know this girl loves her numbers.  Never dreaming in a million (even a zillion) years that I would ever find one there.

BE STILL MY HEART!

cuttin back & cabinet 016

O.k. this is just the teaser pic.  I have to tell you the rest of the story. . .

We walked into the collectibles room.  This is the room where things are a little more pricey, but still better than at the retail stores.  Lots of name brands.  Often, Pottery Barn.

We spied a super soft black leather couch, chair, and loveseat.  Didn’t need that.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw this big round furry chair, a teenagers dream.  I turned to look at it better.  That’s when I saw that there were two.  My eyes glanced up and holy maloly behind them was the cabinet of my dreams.

cuttin back & cabinet 019

I swear I thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest.  Rustic, cubbies, numbers, what’s not to love?  BE STILL MY HEART!

And look my lucky #7.  Now here’s where you see the damage.  Notice the metal is broken under #7?  There are a few like that.  Who care’s?  That baby stole my heart anyway!  There were a few of the broken pieces in one of the drawers.  Thinking I might try gluing them back on.

cuttin back & cabinet 013

The thing was still a bit pricey, so I had to beg hubby a little.  He tried to talk me out of it by saying, “you said cubbies and these are drawers”.  Come on, like that’s going to work!

cuttin back & cabinet 014

The top two rows are actually three cubbies hooked together as drawers.  The bottom row is 15 cubbies to form a cabinet.  I think they will house my three filing cabinets of paper and scrapbook packets perfectly.

cuttin back & cabinet 015

The tag on the cabinet said, ‘Antique’.  I had my doubts because of the finish on the sides and top.  That was another trick hubby used to try and talk me out of it, “It’s not antique”.  Come on, really?  Using the words come on is an inside joke for my hubby. Yes, he reads my blog.  If you’ve ever watched Arrested Development you will relate.

cuttin back & cabinet 017

But look how well it matches my shelf that displays my vintage cameras.

cuttin back & cabinet 018

After getting this beauty home it said that the metal numbers were reclaimed, but  I found that it was made by a co., ‘GuildMaster’.  This is what it said on the tag.

“Some pieces just make you happy.  You feel good by simply walking into the room.

That’s our criteria for creating every piece of GuildMaster furniture. Our heirlooms are hand made to order by the world’s master craftsmen.  From hand-carved Indonesian hardwood to custom-applied finishes to whimsical details, each piece is a showcase statement of quality and distinctive style.

This piece certainly does make me happy! I had to raise my letter ‘O’ and no featherweight machine yet.  I need to take it to be fixed.  But oh how I love it!

Thank you Train Wreck!  And hubby of course.

cuttin back & cabinet 011 

hugs,

Jann

p.s. Be sure you check out the fantastic give away at French Country Cottage.http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/2013/07/vintage-inspired-place-settings.html

I will partying with these fun gals:

Sherry at No Minimalist Here for Open House Party

Debra at Common Ground for Be Inspired

Courtney from French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Sherry from the Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

Jody at Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays

The Scoop

 

 

 

 

47 comments

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It was meant to be. Don't you love it when that happens?! Fabulous one of a kind piece that I'd love to have in my house, too!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What a find. I would have scooped it right up!

marie said...

What a terrific find! Looks great in your space!!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Super duper fun find! It looks great in your home.

Unknown said...

Holly maloley is right! You're a very lucky girl :)

bj said...

Great Balls of Fire....this is so awesome, I can't even find words.
I. LOVE. IT. SO. SO. MUCH.
I am so thrilled that you found this beauty.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

FABULOUS!!!!

Susie said...

Jann, What a lucky girl you are...aren't you glad hubby was there to talk it over. I absolutely love it !! xoxo,Susie

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

I think it's the best cubby/cupboard I've ever seen!
And hey...I have a large cubby shelf. I think it has like 48 spaces or so. And let me tell you, you are lucky that you found something that has "faux" cubbies, and hidden drawers! You can fit so many more things! It gets a bit hard to fill all those little cubbies with tiny things.
So happy for you, it was meant to be yours!
Erica :)

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Awesome find, Jann!! It's such a fabulous piece :) ~Pernilla

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

OH WOW!!!!

Laura Turner said...

Oh my goodness, you lucky, lucky ducky! I LOVE this!!!! I'm glad it landed in such a wonderful home and will be full of lovely goodies.
Happy for you!

Laura

Helen and her Daughters said...

What a great piece! I would love to walk into a store and see that! Who cares if it's antique or not, if you love it and it makes you happy that is what counts.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Nice - Very Nice!
Would love to find the perfect storage piece like that, but then think - where would I put it.:(
Enjoy your evening.

Kris said...

Wow...what a fabulous find!! Love it!!
xo Kris

Patti said...

You got a God smooch! Big time! It's wonderful and perfect for your home. Have fun with it!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Truly an amazing find! So glad you got it and I love how it looks in your craft room!

hugs,
Linda

Pam Kessler said...

Lucky you! That thing is huge and yummy. It looks wonderful in your craft room.

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a great find! Looks super in your room! I know the feeling when you find something great!

Art and Sand said...

Amazing.

I would never have been able to talk Steve into that one.

You styled it perfectly with the O.

cynthia lee designs said...

Oh my...what a great find!! I have a thing for pieces that have drawers and cubbies with numbers...and your piece is awesome!! It looks perfect in your room. I would of gotten it too.
My husband's grandfather was a jeweler and we have his old jeweler's cupboard that he used in his jewelry store. I just love it with all the little drawers.
hugs,
Cindy

NanaDiana said...

I LOVE that piece! What a find- I would love to have it in my home- xo Diana

priscilla said...

Awesome piece ! Love it !

Unknown said...

Great find indeed!
Visiting from Common Ground today.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

retrorevival.biz said...

To DIE! I LOVE it! Congratulations on the outstanding score:) I've been hunting for something similar ~ to use as wine storage (an idea I saw on Pinterest) but all that I've found are $1,000+.

Di said...

Jann this is a terrific find! It looks wonderful in your craft room. Awesome piece, just awesome....ok I love it!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Amazing find! And just when you were looking for one!

Unknown said...

Wow! What a find!! Perfect for your space!~~Angela

Rose L said...

Your hubby loves you! Nice piece. Reminds me of the file cabinets we had in the libraries back in the 70's when I worked at one. All the books had cards, no computers then!

Gayle said...

Wow Jann - I've NEVER seen anything that wonderful at NPS before! Great find - and it's lucky that you were driving a vehicle big enough to bring it home with you. I love it!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

That is some wonderful piece and definitely a crafter's dream addition to her space!

GranthamLynn said...

oh my how awesome. My heart is fluttering too. I would so love to find it's twin!
Congratulations! A beautiful find.
Thanks for sharing!

Donna said...

Wow, what an amazing find! Your new "cubby" will hold so many treasures and supplies! I can only imagine how heavy it is, and hard it must have been to haul home! Lucky you!!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

What a great find!!!

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gosh - I WOULD GIVE BOTH MY OVARIES FOR A FIND LIKE THIS!! Just awesome and color me green with envy.

Betty Sneeringer said...

Oh. My. Goodness! What a find. So glad your husband "cooperated". Thanks for visiting my blog. Lemon balm has a sweet fragrance like lemon verbena and probably could be substituted.

Betty

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh wow, oh wow! You hit the crafters jackpot. Just think of all of the goodies that you will store in there. Good for you, yep, I can see how it makes you happy!

Carol

lynn cockrell said...

What a wonderful piece, Jann! I can just imagine all the possibilities it would have in my house. There is nothing like the feeling of finding that perfect item. It does look wonderful with your "matching" shelf. It may not be antique, but it feels like it is anyway. Congrats on your new cabinet!

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

Amazing ... thats all I can say :)
Francine

Jessie Lou said...

Oh my that is awesome! What a find :)

Adios,
Jessie Lou

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

it was meant to be! :)

Pondside said...

It's gorgeous - there's no way you could have left it there!

Bohemian said...

Having serious Cabinet Envy now! *Winks* What a fab piece for the Studio!

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I sometimes get the "feeling" I need to visit a certain thrift store if I haven't been in awhile and then there is an item of my dreams...so I can totally relate to your finding this cabinet. My husband would have thought I was crazy wanting it but he would have given in too! It's great! Visiting from The Scoop!

Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces said...

I am green with envy!! Awesome find! I'm here from Common Ground. :o)

The Charm of Home said...

Awesome find.
Sherry

elizabeth said...

Love it! Here from Barbie's!

Instagram