Red, White, & Blue in the Garden. . .

The other morning when I arose from bed and opened the blind in our bedroom this is what I saw.

IMG_1250

A red rose nestled among blue Larkspur.   How perfect for the month of July!

That’s when I got the idea to stroll the garden to see what other red, whites, & blues were out.

I’m not going to lie to you.  My gardens are suffering.  We have record breaking hot temps and are on water restrictions.  Things are looking pretty sad, but I managed to find a few things to share.

Beautiful blue Delphiniums.

IMG_1254

White Fever Few growing in the rock wall.

IMG_1255

This rose is on my East side and it is gorgeous!  That is until it doesn’t get water.  Then it shrivels up to nothing.  Luckily new buds keep appearing.

IMG_1299

This red knock out rose was given to me last year for Mother’s Day by my son, Dalan and his wife.

IMG_1257

My bottle brush tree wanted to celebrate with us too!

IMG_1262

A white Begonia sits on my vintage outdoor stove.  It seems to be doing o.k. in the shade.  You might say, it has it “made in the shade”.

IMG_1260

My entire fire pit is lined with Larkspur.  You can see that it is about through blooming.  I have been pulling out wheelbarrows full.  Three years ago I sprinkled seeds up on the hill.  It has come back each year with a vengeance.  I’m trying to get it out before it seeds.  I’ve got other things planted up there now and it is killing them out.  It also blocks the sprinklers from getting to them.  Pretty when I did it, but time for it to be gone!

IMG_1253

More Larkspur seeded behind the pergola.  Didn’t even sprinkle seeds there.  I think my home is the land of Larkspur.

IMG_1263

Some like it hot!  That would be my ‘Hot Wings’ Maple

IMG_1256

These flowering Kale seem to be doing o.k. in spite of the heat.

IMG_1301

This is my Mr. Lincoln rose.  See what the heat has done to it.  This was taken the second day after it opened.  So sorry, Abe.  HONEST I am!

IMG_1258

Wondering if it’s the heat that is turning the edges of my white rose brown.  Usually you check out blogs to see gorgeous flowers.  Here you are seeing some that are sad.

IMG_1259

This is probably the best looking of my pots. 

IMG_1246

I did get a couple of new urns for out by the garage.  Flowers seem to be not much larger than when I first planted them.

IMG_1300

If you are having hot temps.  Find some shade, stay cool, and have a wonderful 4th of July!

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Tuesdays at our Home

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Party

The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday

Common Ground for Be Inspired Patriotic Party

Fishtail Cottage for Cottage Garden Party

24 comments

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

The red roses are beautiful. Too bad the heat is causing the blooms to fade some. Lovely delphiniums too.

Art and Sand said...

Everything is beautiful. I have go to get out working in the garden. I had some time today, but it is nowhere close to being ready for summer.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Love the red Knock-Out, aren't they a great rose and actually are pretty heat tolerant. All of your flowers look great, Jann-This heat can't last much longer!
Love your garden and the red, white and blue!
Happy Hugs-
Jemma

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

You have the prettiest flowers, jann!

So sorry the heat is hurting them a little - hopefully it will pass soon enough and give you a reprieve soon!

Sarah said...

My larkspur are long gone, so it's a treat to stroll your garden and take in your red, white, and blue. ;-)
Happy 4th! ~ Sarah

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Well, that first morning view had to be something! The picture itself is something! And your flowers look great--I hope you can enjoy them as they are. ~Zuni

Kris said...

Your flowers all look terrific!! We are very hot here too. Looking so forward to going to Big Bear for the weekend. Always much cooler there!!!
XO Kris

NanaDiana said...

Jann- Your red, white and blue is just lovely. Those roses are gorgeous! Happy 4th- xo Diana

Patti said...

Your gardens are lovely! Heat here, too. It looks like I live in a dry prairie where I live! It takes a lot of water!

Irene Helms Designs said...

Your garden seems to be doing quite well despite the heat. And I love your bottle tree!
Irene

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Even in the heat your garden is lovely and I am totally taken with Larkspur now!

must love junk said...

Jann, I still think your flowers are gorgeous! Love that first pic! :)
Susan

Di said...

Jann your garden is beautiful. I wish I lived close by I would take that Larkspur off your hands!

Cynthia said...

Jann beautiful pictures, love delphinium but they don't do well here in NJ either too hot or too much rain. The first shot is a beauty. Happy 4th!

Cynthia

Dana Bishop said...

I love the rockery! But then, everything is gorgeous. I am wondering if larkspur seeds would germinate here. I miss my Midwest garden.

Blessings!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

No flowers here...well, except for my silk ones! 117 degrees....doesn't matter if you left the sprinkler on all day, the sun still burns it up...fall is coming!

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous flowers, Jann. The red and purple together are just lovely - those are the colors I went with this year for my flowers. Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Hugs!

Patti said...

Hi Jann! I just saw your post this morning. Thank you so much! How very kind! Oh boy, I feel like I should clean house or something! Lol!

Patti said...

Hi Jann! I just saw your post this morning. Thank you so much! How very kind! Oh boy, I feel like I should clean house or something! Lol!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers & Happy 4th of July!
Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

Two Cottages And Tea said...

I think your plants look wonderful! I'm thinking they like the heat! Your reds and blues are perfect for the 4th! Have a great weekend, Jann!
Nancy

Rose L said...

Your garden rocks!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Your pictures are lovely. We don't have very hot temps in Brittany, so I'm sending you a cool breeze.

Larry said...

Great blooms ... especially the delphiniums! L

Instagram