The Luck of the Irish. . .

Hi my friends.  I thought before I hit the road on a quilting get away with a few of my gal pals I’d leave you with a little something to think about.  “Food for thought’ you might say.

Now that it’s officially March our thoughts turn to St. Patty’s Day and the common phrase of “The Luck of the Irish”.

Although I no longer decorate for the day of wearing green I’ll be sharing a few of my greens with you.

                                                 (a touch of green in my entry cabinet.)

IMG_4113_0364

IMG_4114_0365

IMG_4143_0349

I googled the term ‘Luck of the Irish’ and (much to my own surprise), this is what I found out:

Have you ever wished someone “the Luck of the Irish”?  Did you know that if we do, we are actually wishing them bad luck?  Must admit, I am guilty of this one myself.

The Irish have been, and are a spectacularly unlucky race.

Yup, that’s right!  How long have we misunderstood this saying?  Any reading of Irish history as far back as the old country informs us that the Irish were not considered to be lucky.

For a few decades folks only ate potatoes. . .that is, if potatoes could grow in their fields.

                                 ((My small collection of green depression glass)

IMG_4137_0343

IMG_4139_0345

IMG_4138_0344

And what about that ‘pot of gold’?  Some trace the origin of that phrase to the US where, during the exploration for gold in the West, there were a high number of Irish people who got lucky and found their ‘pot of gold’ in the gold fields of California.

    (Green moss balls sit atop my green houndstooth sofa table)

IMG_4142_0348

Luck of the Irish does owe it’s origin to the U.S.A.  When they arrived they were very disliked, treated badly, despised and hated.  When the Irish had any kind of success most Americans at the time didn’t think the Irish were capable of such successes, so they called it luck.  Hence the term “Luck of the Irish”.

(green orb and candles.  Notice one candle is smaller?  I have another large one but can’t find where I’ve put it.)

IMG_4141_0347

I must say that when we were in Spain we walked along side a group of Irish during the Camino De Santiago.  I found them to be some of the nicest and fun loving people we met along the way.

IMG_4145_0351

IMG_4144_0350

Ireland is a beautiful country and I hope to visit there someday.

Must say, that I have no Irish blood in me, but if I did; I would be proud!

IMG_4146_0352

It’s nice to know that things have changed and the Irish are not treated badly in America today.

So, I’m saying it’s all about ‘Attitude” and I have a positive attitude that the ‘luck of the Irish’ is changing.

I’m hoping that all of them find their ‘pot of gold’

hugs,

Jann

32 comments

diane said...

Great post.
My husband is 1/2 Irish ... his father was born in Ireland.
Love all of your "greens".

diane @ thoughts and shots

Pamela Gordon said...

I love all your greens. They sure are a pleasant spring colour with all the snow we have on the ground. I think I'll get out some of my greens too. Have a fun week away. Pamela

Ann said...

I have that same beautiful green juicer, I use it often. I've never know the saying was actually negative--thank you for the "new" information. Happy Sunday.
Ann

NanaDiana said...

LOL- Being Irish I knew that! lol My grandmother came from Ireland (Irish Catholic) and married an Englishman (Church of England) and both families disowned them and did not recognize the marriage. (No luck there!;>) However, Granddad was VERY successful so everyone thought he was LUCKY. What's that old saying- The harder you work the luckier you get. I am pretty sure that might have been tossed out there by an Irishman!

Love your "greens". xoDiana

Susie said...

Jann, Your room is so nice, I love the sofa table. Have you ever watched the show 'Angela's Ashes" ? They we Irish and certainly never had any good luck. Take care , be safe. xoxo,Susie
p.s. The boy in my post today is my grandson that lives near you, in SLC.

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your greens. Pretty green juicer. And the light green door leaning against the wall with the wreath on it...love, love, love it!!
Hope you have a lot of fun on your quilting get away.
hugs,
Cindy

Sarah said...

Have fun on your trip. I'm loving your green and white quilt. What is the pattern?

Unknown said...

Such beautiful green glassware and whoops, I'm afraid I've been guilty of using the same phrase in the wrong way.
Have fun

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I didn't know that about the luck of the Irish! You have a lot of grren items, Jann. I have decided to cut back a bit on holiday decorating this year. Probably not Christmas but some of the other holidays.

Patti said...

My dad is 84. He grew up when the streets were violent against te Irish. It was horrible, he said. He married a Scotch Irish redhead, McCracken by name! Love your greens!

Linda W. said...

I've got some Irish in my family tree, so I love St. Patty's day.

The Old Parsonage said...

No Irish in me but Mr OP's grandmother was right off the boat so to speak. My niece is getting married St Pat's weekend that's how much she loves Irish traditions. should be fun!

Have a safe and fun trip!

Leann

Junkchiccottage said...

Very pretty all your greens. Have a wonderful trip.
Kris

Denise @ secondtimearoundfinds said...

That was a good tribute to the Irish enjoyed all your green items and the information you shared with us.
Denise

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Nice post and this is from an Irish girl, well a little Irish left in me. Hugs, Beverly

priscilla said...

Beautiful spring decorating Jann ! Love that pretty quilt !

The Victorian Girl said...

It's nice that you already have a lot of great green things out and don't have to put them away after St. Patrick's Day! I really like your quilt. It that made with Chenille By The Inch? Have a great girls' getaway!

Cynthia said...

This is very interesting and something I did not know about that saying. My husband is 100% Irish and very proud of his heritage. He reads the Irish Voice newspaper every week. I know how badly they were treated. People don't always realize how persecuted they were. They are very hard workers and pulled themselves up. Enjoy your time with the girls.

Cynthia

Unknown said...

Beautiful depression glass. I love your quilted throw and that green door is awesome! Lovely post. Have fun.
Angel

From the Old InkWell said...

Good post! Love all your greenies especially that green door!

Pollyanna said...

It all looks so snug, and the greens make it feel fresh and new! Love Springtime, don't you?

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love your collection of depression glass.

Rose L said...

I have not seen one of those juicers in a long time! I can remember watching my mother use one similar to it to juice lemons and oranges!
And you even decorate for St. Patrick's day!! Easter is next!

Unknown said...

Whoa. I never had seen this coming! I visit different blogs that writes and in love with different style and design of home interiors, then I cross over to yours and seems like I’m too edgy to see the parts of the room. I adored the green accessories! The luck of the Irish!

Sebastian of
Factory Direct Gazebo

Tea in the Library said...

Safe travels and best wishes for your get away!

Creations By Cindy said...

I love all of your greens! The juicer caught my eye for sure! Just saw one of those in an antique store and about fainted when I saw a price tag of $40 on it! I have a white one but only paid 50 cents for it! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Leovi said...

Beautiful, I love these green colors!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hello Jan,
you have some mighty gorgeous greens showing...LOL...And the Luck of the Iris to you too!!!
Such and wonderful post filled with eye candy and info. Thank you.
XXOO Marie Antoinette

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Green is my favorite color. I'm in heaven.

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

Love the color green! Am in the process of redecorating our master bedroom and yup the color is green. Have been to Ireland and it truly is the Emerald Isle The people there are wonderful and at many local pups they have impromptu music jamming sessions...so cool. Such a pretty post...thank you for sharing Jann!
XO Barbara

Fran said...

I thank you for giving the background of the "luck of the Irish" saying! I never knew it had negative connotations. Like you, there's not a drop of Irish in me; however, my husband is 100% of Irish descent so my kids are nicely balanced!
Love the pictures of your green depression glass and the splash of aqua from the vintage utensil (egg beater, perhaps?). Have a wonderful weekend! :)
--Fran

Art and Sand said...

Lovely greens - my favorite is the shutter.

I need you to send me your address.

I am doing a lot of cleaning, organizing and purging and I want os send something to you. It will be sort of like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I received something that will now be moving on.

Hope you had fun, or still are having fun, on your quilting getwaway.

Instagram