You’ve Put a Hex on Me!

Today is a blustery windy day.  Time to pull out some cute fabrics to brighten things up a little!

DSC00689

Ever since I got this new little hexagon ruler I’ve been taken.  You might say that it’s put a ‘hex’ on me!  All of these 1930’s reproduction fabrics have been cut with this fun Hexie Half.

DSC00692

When I went on my quilting get away the gals all had a sweet gift exchange.

If you are a quilter, I’m sure you will be familiar with the name Lori Holt.  Well, famous Lori was at our retreat and she gifted us with a basket full of goodies.  This fun ruler, designed by her was tucked inside.

DSC00638

What quilter doesn’t need a lint roller to clean off all the threads before dashing out of the house?  Sue thought of that clever gift.

Sweet fabric in the eggs and delicious Lindt chocolate.

DSC00640

RaeAnn and Susann gave fun notebooks and treats.  I really should have taken them out of the bag for you to see better.

DSC00642

I am making a table runner using my new Hexie ruler.  I got this far at the quilting getaway.  I didn’t take enough fabric with me, so I am adding to it at home.  Although, Rae Ann gave me lots.  She would have given me enough to finish it if I would have let her.

DSC00694

It’s easy to add more length because they are sewn together by rows.  However, you must decide how wide you want it before you sew the rows together.

Here’s a tutorial on how to cut and sew this table topper using the ‘Half Hexie’ ruler.

You can order one on line from Lori at http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/

Start by cutting your fabrics into 5” squares.  I didn’t repeat any of my fabrics, but you sure could.

DSC00688 

Fold each square in half.  Place your half hexie ruler on top and cut away the excess.

DSC00707

See how the bottom ends are squared off?  It makes it so your hexies line up perfectly against each other.

DSC00710

It’s a little hard to see, but she also gave us a large glue dot to put on the back of the ruler.  Wow, was that ever nice for keeping the ruler from slipping while you are cutting.

DSC00693

After all of your hexies are cut lay them out in rows however you want.

DSC00712 

Then using 1/4” seams start sewing each row together.  See how the square ends meet?

DSC00713

I sew together 2, then 4, then the two groups of 4 to form 8.  My runner is 8 hexies wide.

DSC00714

Soon you will have a lot of rows that when lined up will form a hexagon.

DSC00716

The bottom edge will end with a half of a hexagon on every other hexie.  You will use the other half on the other end of your runner.

After your rows are all sewn, iron seams opposite directions and sew together.  I do pin at each Hexie seam.

After the rows are all sewn together, iron the seams open on each row so that there won’t be so much bulk.  Your hexies will lie much nicer.

DSC00717

DSC00718

I can’t wait to get mine all sewn together and off to the quilter.  I will leave the uneven edges on the sides until after it’s quilted.  Be sure and draw a straight line along it so the quilter will know not to go beyond that point. 

Then I will cut it off and bind it the same as I do a quilt.

Wouldn’t this make a sweet baby quilt?  It’s a super quick and fun project!

Thanks Lori for my new ‘Half Hexie’ and thanks Rae Ann for inviting me to your gorgeous cabin!

If you decide to try this I’d love to hear what you think!

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Sundays at Home with Alice

Flusters Creative Muster

Tuesdays at Our Home

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Party

Wake Up Wednesday

21 comments

Susie said...

I love it. That is a sweet little ruler...I like the way all your hexagons have come together. You'll be making all kinds of pretty things. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

lynn cockrell said...

This is a beautiful table topper. The colors are wonderful. I can hardly wait to see it after it is finished. You did a beautiful job on the color choices and patterns. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Salmagundi said...

It's hard to beat the allure of those retro, repo fabrics. Anxious to see your finished table runner! Sally

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, I'm so glad that you had fun on your girls retreat and you were received such cute gifts. I love your runner you are quilting, it's going to look so pretty in your house! Have a wonderful week.
Julie

Unknown said...

The fabrics are so pretty - thanks so much for sharing at #CreativeMuster - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

Unknown said...

The fabrics are so pretty - thanks so much for sharing at #CreativeMuster - Alice @ Mums Make Lists

mimi_62 said...

LOVE IT, Jann. Will have to think about making one of those. So Cute!!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It's so pretty! ♡

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

I wanted to stop by and say hello because I have been super busy. WOW am I ever glad I did. I love the Hex cutting tool and your table runner. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. I think I could actually make one myself now. I also love the little gifts. I love putting together things like that for others. Have a blessed week. Hugs, Beverly

Junkchiccottage said...

Love this Jann. This table runner is going to be so pretty. I am so envious of you that you can sew such pretty things. Have a great week.
Kris

Winnie said...

I'm in love with this table topper. It's sooooooooooooo pretty!!

Art and Sand said...

I have never seen hexagons sewn that way.

I might have to try that out.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Although I can sew, and I have friends and family who quilt, I'm not a quilter. But it certainly doesn't require being a quilter to become "hexed" and fall in love with them, does it? This is going to be gorgeous - I love the fabrics you're using, Jann.

Creations By Cindy said...

What a neat little ruler! Love all the goodies you have shared but I am enthralled with your hexi look for your runner! WOW! Love the colors too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Rose L said...

I love the spring-filled colors! You make it look so easy, but I know it is not! Takes talent!

Fran said...

I love the bright colors in your hexie quilt! What a nifty ruler. I have so much trouble lining up all six sides evenly, I never thought of splitting the hexies in half. Lori is so clever! I enjoy her blog and her tutorials. Hope you are having a wonderful week! :)
--Fran

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a pretty project you are working on .

LOL the lint roller for threads reminded me of the other day when my cat rolled in a pile of threads on the table and later on I was picking threads off of her :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love all the colors of fabric! What a cute project. I've always wanted to make a quilt or runner or other small project. Doing the half hexies and using the ruler makes it seem quite possible!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Oh my, what a pretty way to use the Hexie Half!Loving the fabrics, Jann! Can't wait to see it once you are all finished:)Hope you are enjoying your week!~hugs, Poppy

Unknown said...

I love all your beautiful colors. You do fantastic work. I'd love a quilt like that and the ability to make my own would be tremendous. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talent with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party.
Angel

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You've made this look so easy, Jann! I'm hoping to get all the grunt work done on our house so I can spend my spare time doing things like this. I love your fabric choices for your hexie table runner!

Instagram