Vintage Lace and Easter

Thanks to Kathy from A Delightsome Life for featuring this post.

There’s just something about vintage lace that makes my heart soar.  I always keep my eyes out for it at estate sales and thrift stores.

A couple of weeks ago I really scored.

DSC00809

I had been sick all week.  One afternoon my friend, Amanda called and told me about an estate sale she had ran across close to our homes.  She was so cute and said, “It’s such a gorgeous day, I thought that it might make you feel better if you got out for a few minutes and ran to this sale”.  Let’s just say, she didn’t have to beg.  I hopped into my car and off I went.

It was pretty picked over, but I found a pussy willow wreath for $5.  Then I walked into one of the bedrooms.

DSC00722

There lying on the bed in a plastic zippered bag was a large lace coverlet. Laaaaaaaaa!  Yes, that’s the sound of angels singing.

Because I really didn’t feel well I didn’t inspect it closely, but I thought it looked too perfect to be handmade.

DSC00810

Still, it was lovely and I thought that if it wasn’t a bad price I would get it.  It wasn’t marked so I took it up to ask a price.  The kid at the table said, ‘How much were you thinking?”  I told him that if it was handmade it would be worth alot, but that I didn’t think it was.  He showed his dad and we all agreed it probably wasn’t.  I told him I was thinking about $20.  He said, “Would you pay $30?”.  I said, “sure”.

Doesn’t it have a beautiful edge?  Well, here’s the thing.  Two of my friends that saw it are sure it is handmade.  One of them said her grandmother had one just like it she made for her bed.  If so, I feel a little guilty.  But really, I just told them what I thought.

DSC00789

I decided to use it on my table for Easter.  I love how it drapes on the floor.

DSC00790

DSC00801

Some other vintage lace is spilling out of the moss basket.  Another estate sale find.

DSC00792

I found this silver bud vase at a thrift for $2.

DSC00798

Look how gorgeous the top is.

DSC00797

I stuck a rustic metal chick in my planted pot of grass and tied more lace at her base.

DSC00793

Mini carrots and a couple of green bottles are tucked inside an aqua berry basket.  A moss bird, some French pots,  and a sparkly egg find homage along side the lace.

DSC00794

The wicker basket and little chick egg holders are more estate sale treasures.

DSC00800

I hung a few Easter cuties from the chandy.

DSC00808

DSC00803

DSC00804

DSC00805

DSC00806

I love Easter décor, but not as much as I love vintage lace!  So do you think it’s handmade?

hugs,

Jann

p.s.  I would love to thank Kerryanne from Shabby Art Boutique for featuring my Adding Spring in the Bedroom post at her Shabbilicious Friday.

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:

Revisionary Life for Thrifty Life Thursday

http://revisionarylife.blogspot.com/2014/03/thrifty-life-thursday-12-and-milk-glass.html

The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

Common Ground for Be Inspired

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Shabby Art Boutique for Shabbilicious Friday

Common Ground for Easter Inspiration

Lamb-Vintage-Image-GraphicsFairy2

28 comments

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Mrs. Olsen you did scored sweet friend! That crochet tablecloth is gorgeous for $30!!! I'm 99% it's hand made,cause my mom and grandma crocheted perfectly and I have about 4, so yes, they do come out perfect by hand like yours. As soon as I saw your post I came running cause I love tablecloths as beautiful as this!
I love how you did your chandy for spring. I'm sure you got cured after all this fun!
Have a lovely rest of the weekend.
FABBY

Linda W. said...

What a lovely lace tablecloth! A great find.

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

Oh my that is a lovely vintage lace tablecloth. SCORE!!! Your photos are so beautiful and they scream SPRING!! Hugs, Beverly

Debbie said...

You sure did score big time on that crochet lace tablecloth...I have many perfect looking crochet pieces from my Grandma & this looks to me like the real deal. Enjoy!
xo
Debbie
===^..^===

cynthia lee designs said...

Jann...I think it is really handmade. I have one that my aunt made that looks similar to yours. I think $30 is a great price for the size it is. I've seen some handmade ones at yard sales for around that price here.
Hope you are feeling all better.
hugs,
Cindy

Kris said...

Oh my goodness...I have missed reading all of my favorite blogs! That coverlet was a STEAL!!! Wow! So gorgeous. It looks to be in perfect condition too! What a treasure to have and use for years to come! Loved the Easter stuff! Love the pillows on yellow bench. The Splish Splash from Pottery Barn...SWOON!!!
Fun stuff!!! Hope you are feeling much better by now too!
xo Kris

Susie said...

Jann, Jack-pot !! You made me laugh about how you did not have to be begged to go to the sale. LOL. Girl, you just can't help yourself. Your other treasures are nice also. I hope you get back to being 100 percent again soon. xoxo,Susie

Heirloom treasures said...

Jann,I'm sure it is handmade but you know,it is lovely that it has gone to someone who will treasure it. It looks lovely on your table.

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh, that pussywillow wreath is gorgeous. Love that photo! And I actually have a tablecloth very much like that. I wonder where it is. Now I'm off to hunt for it! :-)

Unknown said...

I love old vintage lace too! I fortunately received my late grandmothers lace which included a coverlet very similar to yours!! I think its handmade!! Beautiful table!!~~Angela

Salmagundi said...

I enlarged your pictures, and I am sure it is handmade! Beautiful! Sally

Rose L said...

It is definitely homemade, crocheted. Lots of single crochet, double crochet and maybe some triple crochet. I used to do filet crochet and it is hard work for many, many hours.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This is gorgeous and I must say it looks handmade! Don't feel badly you said what you honestly thought and they didn't know so good for you to give it a good home. It's so perfect on your Easter table.
Hugs!!!

Linda

living from glory to glory said...

Dear Jann, What a sweet girlfriend for thinking of you and taking you to a place where you would have found such a treasure! I also love the lace!! And linens are a favorite of mine!
Blessings, Roxy

NanaDiana said...

Wow- Jann- What a find-whether it is handmade or not- it is gorgeous. Usually with handmade you can spot a flub of thread here or there- machine mades are usually perfect.
It is looking like Easter at your house and it sounds like you are feeling better- xo Diana

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love your Easter decor... But not as much as your gorgeous lace tablecloth ;)

Unknown said...

As always, you have a fabulous, interesting topic here! You surely hit the big scored; the vintage lace is not just attractive but completely exquisite! I adore the blue lamp fixture! Classy!

Sebastian of
Granny Flat Super Store

sweet violets said...

That is a great find!!! Oh, yes, it is hand made, no machine can duplicate those stitches!!! You have to be a crocheter to know the right and wrong side. Your laces are pretty too, the one on the right is machine made, the one on the left looks handmade. Enjoy your treasures!!!

Donna Wilkes said...

Love that crocheted spread as a tablecloth. I always buy these if the price is right even in bad shape. They are so versatile. Great Easter vignette. My favorites are hanging from the chandy.

Unknown said...

Your bedspread is 100 percent handmade! I have crocheted all my life and there is no machine crochet yet that I know of! That took months to make. Great find! People don't realize what a treasure those are. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tablecloth...love what you did with the chandelier.

The Charm of Home said...

Great find Jann. It's awesome.

The Old Parsonage said...

that is a great buy! I just picked up one for $18. I have a handmade one that was crocheted by my Uncle's Grandmother - so it's over 100 years old. I have it on our dining room table - love it.

Have fun on your trip!

Leann

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

it's just beautiful, Jann...perfect remedy for kicking a cold, too! :)

The Tablescaper said...

Love all of your Easter touches.

So wonderful to have you at Seasonal Sundays. Looking forward to having you join this weekend as well!

- Alma, The Tablescaper

Tea in the Library said...

Love the lace. I'm sure whomever owned it would be happy knowing it went to someone who will treasure it.

Kathy said...

Jann, I'm so delighted for you - beautiful finds! I am delighted to share that your post will be featured in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

anosh said...

Saudi Arabia Experts Company
It is normal to put furniture in our homes as if it will remain forever. We carefully arrange bedroom furniture, kitchen cabinets, air conditioners, washing machines and dishes. The time and effort required by the transfer, and the expected risk of furniture on the other hand, but all of this may apply to the usual methods of moving furniture or managing furniture alone, but it can end entirely with a specialized furniture transfer company.
شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض

Instagram