Americana Style is Childs Play!

A couple of weeks ago I was visiting the blog of a gal who lives just down the road from me.  Shirley from, Zetta's Aprons.  Using her recent Ferris Wheel find she had created a fun vintage circus (Coney Island) display for the 4th. 

wheel 5

Love, love that Ferris Wheel!

11 dogs

Immediately I thought, “She needs one of my tops"!”  I have collected tin toys for quite a few years.  Four years ago my older sis, Dolores was down sizing and gave me more toys for my collection.  I have 5 tin tops and two of them were the same.

I told Shirley that I wanted to bring one to her and she graciously said that she would come to my home and pick it up.

Yesterday morning I went up to get the top and I noticed that alot of the toys were the perfect colors for the 4th of July.

I decided to do a display on my family room mantle.  The cute accordion I found at a thrift store for $5 and I’ve had the Bazooka tin for years.  I needed some height so I added the jar of poker chips. Wishing I had an old bicycle wheel like Carlene’s from  Organized Clutter. The other items were from my sis.  Notice the little VW hiding behind the soldier? 

IMG_1220

IMG_1224

I added my U.S.A. letters behind what has been one of America’s favorite past times for years – baseball.  The capital quiz game is so fun.  I need to practice up with it.  When we were traveling to Portugal from Spain to pass time we tried to name all of the states and their capitals.  I was a little rusty.

IMG_1222

IMG_1223

Today I decided that I needed a banner to hang from the mantle.  A few years ago my friend, Ann gave me a paper one that I had never used.  I thought it would be fun to doll it up a little.  I pulled from my craft stash and didn’t have to buy a thing.  Don’t you love it when you can create without spending money?

IMG_1244

I tried to carry on the toy theme by adding bits and pieces like the Rummikub tile and the skate key.  I always pick up old Scrabble games just for the tiles.

IMG_1239

A long time ago my sister, Jeanne traveled to Washington D.C.  She brought me home a book of postcards.  They worked perfect!

I love the touch of crepe paper and the vintage earring.

IMG_1242

I had to decorate one of the pennants with cherries to tie in with my table décor.

IMG_1245

IMG_1232

Now I bet you’re wondering if I created this in my new craft room.  Nope, we have a problem.  We can’t get my craft table through the door.  :(  Hubby is going to take the legs off this weekend.  No easy task.  It’s an old laundry table with tons of nails.

Here’s the entire mantle.  A little busy, but then what kids don’t make a mess when they play? lol!  Now I just hope the grandies don’t try to climb up there.

IMG_1218

And before I go, I’d like you to meet Shirley.  I was so happy to finally meet her in person.

IMG_1215

I think she’s pretty tickled with her new (old) top!  She’s very creative and makes some wonderful vintage style crafts.  She’d love if you came and visited her!

IMG_1217

Hugs,

Jann

p.s.  go here: Share Your Cup to check out my summer give away.

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Rooted in thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays

The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday

One More Time Events for Share it One More Time

Sunday View for Inspired Sunday

A Pinch of Joy for Busy Monday

Knick of Time Tuesday

Flusters Creative Muster

The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday

Common Ground for Be Inspired Patriotic Party

39 comments

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann you totally NAILED the true flair of "Americana" with your decor for this 4th holiday!

And you nailed the "awesome generous blogger" sharing the wealth with your new friend.

You are a wonderful person.

Big hugs.

NanaDiana said...

Jann- What a sweet friend you are! I know she was thrilled-I can tell by the way she is clutching it that it is her new favorite thing! AND I LOVE that Ferris wheel. I had a wonderful old top like that from my childhood. My oldest daughter has it and displays it on her mantle at Christmas with other old toys. I am still playing catch up, too. I finally bought some flowers today. xo Diana

Patti said...

I just love your mantle and all your toys! And, the banner.....LUV it! How sweet of you to share, and how fun for you to meet Shirley in person. You both are so creative!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Oh, that Ferris wheel is spectacular!! And you've got quite a few gems yourself! The Bazooka tin is such a fun addition to your mantel. No parade was complete without a few hundred pieces of Bazooka thrown to the crowds.

Kris said...

What a fun display! I bet your friend was tickled pink!! Now I will go say hi to her!
xo Kris

Art and Sand said...

What a great mantle - so colorful and full of things for the eye to catch.

priscilla said...

Cute ! Love your banner !

Anonymous said...

Oh my! How fun that you live near Shirley! I love your "busy" mantle! ♥

Cindy said...

Your mantel is wonderful, I love the Americana displays. Cindy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This mantel decor is so cute!! I love the old toys and the banner is adorable and very Americana! What a nice thing to do to share one of your tops with a friend! Happy Day!

Linda

Salmagundi said...

I'm in love with the banner - so clever! You must have quite a stash (and talent) to whip that up!!! The toys are fabulous, as well. Sally

Sarah said...

What a thoughtful friend you are! And what fun to see your vintage tin toys. They make a charming 4th of July display. Love that toy drummer and the Bazooka tin. What memories these invoke. Thanks for sharing! Happy 4th of July! ~ Sarah

Lois' Laughlines said...

Just about the cutest thing I have ever seen. The banner.....Um, so adorable. What a talent you have for decorating. I LOVE.
blessings to you.

Gayle said...

Absolutely delightful! Thanks for sharing Shirley's blog with us - I'm off for a visit.

Ricki Treleaven said...

You are such a generous person! Your mantel is so cute. What an adorable idea for Independence Day decor! LOVE the toys and the banner!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Oh, and I love your banner, too!

Adrienne said...

I LOVE the toys! =) Thank you for sharing!

living from glory to glory said...

Jann, That display for the 4th of July really sparked my idea for decorating my home for our nations Birthday. I still may need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby :)

That was so sweet to give your neighbor that top. Really giving is what makes the world go round and round.
Blessings, Roxy

Rose L said...

Old tin toys are quite collectible and popular. I went to an auction once where they were selling of a huge collection and one man was buying almost all of them. During a break I said to him, "you sure must like tin toys." His response is that he was bidding for someone else who was a famous actor, but would not tell me who. He gets paid to bid for people! Fun job!

Dana Bishop said...

I just love your banners. They always motivate me to think bigger. Every banner you make is so creative and packed with so much interest.

Beca said...

What a fun way to dress up the mantel! You have a nice collection of tin toys. Enjoy your weekend.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Your toy collection makes such a pretty and whimsical mantel... I might be in love with it, you're not getting jealous, are you?

Nicole said...

Oh my- all super cute things Jann you are so creative! Thank you so much for all of those sweet comments on my blog, especially about our sweet Birdie girl. Really touched my heart. :) Im glad to be back blogging, too, and look forward to many more SYC Thursdays. And your blog is looking SO cute these days! God bless!

Unknown said...

I love the nostalgia of your mantel! Takes me back in time!!~~Angela

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Shirley is just the cutest! I'm a big fan of her blog and her sweet style! Love all of your vintage pretties and the neat banner. I should try to make one of those! Happy fourth my friend!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, I just love that banner that you made. You did a great job and it looks so nice. You are really crafty.
Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

One More Time Events said...

Stopping by to thank you for sharing at One More..http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/06/share-it-one-more-time-features-and_29.html love all your Fourth of July decorations..
So happy you joined in this week...xo Tammy

ThrifterSisters said...

I don't think that your mantle is cluttered at all! It just gives us more to look at and love:-)

You totally nailed patriotism in your display, Jann!

Have a great week,

Erica

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love your bunting. I love old toys too. They are the primary colors and so fun!

andrea@townandprairie said...

What a great collection! I wish I had more 4th decor. It's always so cheerful and party-ready!

Stacey Johnson said...

LOVE your patriotic dishes and things. Thanks for visiting The Gluten Free Pastors Wife!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

LOL you do NOT have a dish addiction / I can't believe it

Ha ha ha have a wonderful 4th! :)

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Commented on the wrong post but I am catching up and reading the last few days worth...sorry! :) Tops, Dishes, You have it ALL, Jann! :) Along with much creativity and a sweet spirit :)

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Oh Jann, you absolutely rock "Americana!" I love your mantle decor and the way you decorated the pennant banner...beautiful job! Thanks for the inspiration!Hugs,Poppy

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Your banner and mantel are amazing! They are filled with so many fun things that bring back the memories. That top looks like something from my childhood as well. You really did it up right, Jann!
Liz

Anonymous said...

How fun to meet face to face. I love that bingo card idea as well as the topper. I think I'm heading over to my mothers to search for mine. Thank you for the fun inspiration.

Laura Turner said...

Your display of toys and the banner are just wonderful--not too busy at all! Your new friend looks delighted with the top-isn't it fun to share what we love with others?
My mother collected vintage toys, and she would have loved this display.
Thanks for linking up with Sunday View!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Jann, What a fun display of vintage toys. I certainly would like to find a spot on the floor and play.

Debra

mahesh patel said...

happy valentines images
promise day status
uk kissing
promise day pictures
picture of kiss

Instagram