SEW fun!

Last week as I was deep cleaning my sewing room I had hubby take down my rustic chandy to give it a good cleaning.  I bought it from Star Mill Antiques.  It was made out of wire garden fencing by one of the employees, Connie.  As you can see I painted my sewing room walls chocolate brown a couple years ago.  I really don’t care for it and will be redoing it some time in the future.

IMG_9873

I’ve hung some fun sewing notions from it.  Including two small wired button garlands.  One day the door bell rang.  Hubby opened the door to find two little kids selling their creations.  He knew I loved buttons so he bought two for 25 cents each.

IMG_9874

This sweet heart was one of my first give away wins.

IMG_9875

Crystals hang down here and there to give it a bit of sparkle.

IMG_9876

One of the things I had tucked up inside was an old catalog.  It was given to me by my cousin, Betty.

Aldens Chicago, Illinois 60th Anniversary Spring and Summer 1949 Catalog Digest.  Their motto says, “Make Our 60th Year Your Thriftiest Year”

Can you imagine that this taffeta beauty was only $9.98?

dress

My friend, Carlene from Organized Clutter has been showing a lot of her vintage leaflets lately.  I decided to play a game of, “I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours”. lol!

Let’s take a peek inside:

How about this Saucy-Dot Basque for $5.98.  That’s what they called it.

IMG_9862

Most of the pages are b&w.  I am sure color was very expensive.  Every page was such a delight.  I could have shown you every single one.  But I’m sure you have better things to do.  The dress on the right claims to be “the newest back look”

IMG_9863

IMG_9864

Look at these beauties ranging from $1 – $3.98.

IMG_9865

One area that we have, ‘come a long way baby’ is our under wear.

IMG_9866

Maybe if you’ve been a sweetheart hubby will give you one of these for Valentines! Hee-hee!  I hope you’re worth $2.98!

IMG_9867

You don’t see the extreme changes in childrens clothing quite as much.  I could see my little grandie, Saydee in one of these today.

IMG_9868

They even had some pretty Priscillas for your home.  You’d pay $2.29 for the most expensive pair.

IMG_9869

Look at these beauties with (as advertised) dramatic color.

IMG_9872

And how about these?  Hey, I wore saddle shoes in high school.  Did you notice that they are color-gay?  Couldn’t get away with saying that today.

IMG_9870

Oh my gosh, look at the saddle purse to match on the bottom right.  Is that not darling?

I think I’ll pull out my vintage sewing machine (a $25 find) and whip one of those dresses up right now.  Hey, the fabric would cost way more than the dress did back then!

IMG_9877

I had to show you this funny pin cushion I found at the Star Mill too.  She’s made from an old spool.  She’s so ugly she’s cute!

IMG_9878

Last of all some pages from a Butterick leaflet. 

IMG_9880

Gotta love that old fashioned style.  It’s SEW, SEW fun!

hugs,

Jann

To see todays ‘Showing a Little Love’ challenge check out my previous post.

I will be sharing with:

Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

Cowgirl Up

Kathe with an e for You're Gonna Love it Tuesday

Fluster Buster

17 comments

Art and Sand said...

Oh, the memories. I wore saddle shoes all through school.

Don't miss girdles!

Beth said...

Hi Jann, I enjoyed looking at the old catalogs. I remember as children we would get the JC Penney Christmas catalog, and would go through and circle everything we wished for for Christmas! Good memories! Thanks for stopping by to visit me, and have a good week!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

And "back then" those prices were considered a lot of money. :D Thanks for sharing.

Gayle said...

I'm so sad because I never made it to Star Mill - and now I understand they've closed? Poor me!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Hey, do you think they might still have that multi color purse still in stock...I would wear that now!!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Those peplum dress suits in your first b&w image are in style now~

Gina said...

What a great chandy...you can have alot of fun with it I bet. I loved seeing the vintage shoes!!

Bernideen said...

The girdle made me laugh as my grandmother always hung hers on the doorknob at night!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love old magazines and catalogs. I wonder why the hearts are on the girdles? I love old sewing collectibles too. I have a few dark walls here to that are going lighter and maybe white. Thanks for the shout out, dear Jann.

Unknown said...

Just loved the catalog-am I weird to think I'd love to have some of it today?
Have a good week

Old Time Cindy said...

That was fun. I wouldn't mind wearing some of that...except for the underwear! LOL!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Maureen Wyatt said...

The worst blisters I had in my life where from a new pair of saddle shoes! That was a fascinating post!

Chenille Cottage said...

Hello My darling friend,
It has been a long time since I've blogged. So much has taken place since our little tike was born. He and mommy had a rough time but both are doing well. I am so thankful that I was able to be there to help out.
I have missed putzing around on my favorite blogs and am looking forward to playing a lot of catch up.
I arrived home to the flu...and am a little under the weather...BUT, not for long!
What a precious friend you are, Jann! I am so very thankful for your prayers and kindness. What would I do without your cheerful heart? You are such a blessing to me!
Big hugs,
Carolynn xoxo

priscilla said...

Great post Jann.. fun to see some of those things and the prices !

Kris said...

Love those shoes!!! I used to love to go over the JC Penney catalog before school started!
Love the vintage sewing machine too!!!! Such nice things!!!! SEW...SEW cute!!
xo Kris

Micupoftea said...

SO charming, Jann! I love the purse in the add~ Have a great week :)
Shawn

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

this old catalog is fun to look at! :)

Instagram