What’s Your Style?

This is a question I have been asking myself for the last few months.  When hubby and I decided that we were going to finish our basement I really started thinking about it.  And figuring out exactly what I wanted to do.

I love decorating with old things, but I also like the mixture of new.

Many of you may know that we did not build our home.  Because of that, some things in it are not my style.  I have been gradually trying to make it more ‘me’.

When I visit many of my friends blogs I know exactly what their style is.  In my case, it’s more like I know what I am not.

Here’s a glance of some of the things that I like.  I love this farmhouse style.  Or is it more cottage?  You’ll be seeing some of this in my downstairs kitchen.

IMG_9790

I adore these little cubbies over the fridge.  I am doing a modified version.

IMG_9797

I also want a cabinet that is all glass. 

IMG_9792

Isn’t this prairie style sweet simplicity?

IMG_9794

I also love this French Country style by Courtney of French Country Cottage.

03a3d094f93f1945c2853fa82a221ceb

And look at this gorgeous shabby chic office from Cottage Industry interiors.

office

Love this white trim and the transom window!

IMG_9795

I am nuts about any type of tongue and groove!  Also love rustic looking wood floors.

IMG_9791

How awesome is this  primitive look?  I got this off of Hometalk.  So sorry I don’t remember who.

5dbhp9q859eu1i39lkny50841853357ab

Oh my, so many styles.  What’s a girl to do?

Let’s recap some of the styles I like:

Country French                 Farmhouse                         Shabby Chic

Primitive                             Prairie style                         Cottage

Here’s some styles that I know I am not:

modern                               Victorian (although 20 years ago I loved it)

contemporary

I love white, but I also adore color!

Well, I now know exactly what my style is.  Am I ever so happy.  Before I reveal it I have to tell you a funny story.

One day at my previous home a repairman was working on our garage door.  He knocked on the door to ask a question.  When I opened it he looked inside and said, “Oh, I like it, what style is this?”  For lack of a better answer, and not knowing exactly what my style was I said, “Conglomerate”.  Funny thing is, he thought that was really a name for a style.

When I googled decorating styles I found one that fit me to a Tee!  My style is eclectic.  What’s that you ask?  It’s a mixture of styles.  It’s the perfect word for someone like me who likes so many different things.  Sounds much better than conglomerate, don’t you think?

How about you?  Do you have  a specific style that you love?

Even when I took this Decorating Style Quiz there was always more than one choice that I liked.  Hop over and take it.  See if you have an easier time than me and if you know your style.

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Kathe with an e for You're Gonna Love it Tuesday

25 comments

Art and Sand said...

What's my style? I think I am more conglomerate than eclectic.

How fun to have a basement to decorate and have for space.

Old Time Cindy said...

I can see that eclectic would be your style. Of course, you know I have a farmhouse style. There's many variations to that also. Have fun decorating!
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Maria Elena said...

Great post, Jann! I have always wondered what my style is and if I even have one. LOL I am going to go take the quiz, now I am really curious!

Ruby and Arthur said...

I think the best rooms have a mix of styles! I call mine "Sweet Farmhouse". Have fun with your new project~! Jean

priscilla said...

Love your ideas for your basement remodel ! So hard to choose just one style :)

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,
Your inspiration shots for your basement are gorgeous...Love the big glass cabinet. I can see it filled with some of your pyrex!! I think your style is just perfect!
All the Best,
Christine

Melanie said...

Don't know the exact term for my style either. I love your style though!!! Loved each picture that you have shown!! I love something about each of those styles. I think that we take something from each style that we like and make it our own style.

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of prairie style! Sounds like you have an eclectic mix of styles and that's fun! Love your idea for a glass cabinet door. The craft room is awesome too. Can't wait to see the choices you make.

Mary

Julie Marie said...

Cute post Jann... that is exactly what I call my "style"... eclectic!... I love all the same things you do, and can't seem to settle on just one... my home is my home and I want it how "I" want, not how someone else tells me I want it... I love living with things we have gathered over the years and enjoy... modern is definitely not me either!... and my home has to be comfy and inviting... dogs included!... xoxo Julie Marie

NanaDiana said...

Your style is the same as my own. I am considered eclectic-with a nod towards traditional. Glad you figured it out- xo Diana

Bernideen said...

I am living with many antiques from years of collecting. In my forthcoming retirement I want a whiter look so many pieces will be painted white. Some will not. We will have to downsize so I will become more "cottage".

Unknown said...

I think ecletic is a perfectly wonderful style, since apparently that is my style in all things. LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm cottage all the way but that doesn't mean everything in my house *is* cottage style! I'm much more of an eclectic decorating due to financial limitations and because I have a husband and 4 sons! I own several pieces that I don't like!

Have fun! ♥

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

"Conglomerate."

That is a very good answer, Jann!

I don't know what my style is but to describe it:

Neutral off white monochromatic palette, decorating with natural textures - you won't find a whole lot of shine or plastic here.) Slightly rustic with one or two antiques and slightly clean-lined...I am not one for too much baubles and gizmos....I HAVE them, but change them often, seldom "over decorate." That just means I am lazy and have less out to get dusty, haha.

One of these days I may actually take pictures of my house to share on my blog, so far I haven't done so.

I like your style because it is you and I like YOU!! : - )

You would be bored here, not much colour anywhere, haha. (But please still visit one day, don't let my allergies to colour that stop ya!)

Have a fabulous week!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh - but I forgot the word "Traditional," because my style is actually Neutral Monochromatic Off White Traditional with a few antiques and a touch of rustic.

Traditional, forgot that important word in my other (above) comment.

I do dream of owning a little cottage of awesomeness one day, to satisfy that urge to have shabby white chippy awesomeness all around me when in the mood......but it is way too girlie for my fella so I keep it down to one guest room upstairs is all.

Fran. said...

Go figure Jann I am eclectic too!! LOL That is funny you posted this. I have been asking myself lately what I like. I have pinned alot of neutral color things and always think how bored I would get. I need some color. I do like earth colors. Orange and brown being my favorite colors. I also pinned that very craft room. There is just somethingI really like about it. Decorating is fun but it can also stress you out sometimes. Thanks for sharing Jann. XOXo Love Fran.

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh...Jann...Not to be a total Copycat...But, DITTO on your style. You and I love so many of the same things and color is right at the heart of it all.
I, too, am not a victorian gal or a modern, contemporary lady. As much as all the white décor soothes me I love being surrounded with colors that are bright, cheery and full of energy.
Thank you for this fascinating and fun post.
Have a lovely week, my sweet friend!
Smiles,
Carolynn xoxo

ThrifterSisters said...

My house is a ranch style home with a rustic/farmhouse/vintage/shabby design throughout. I too have a very Eclectic decorating style. If I like it, I decorate with it, regardless of if it goes with everything else. It's nice to know that I am in good company:-)

Erica

cynthia lee designs said...

I love the farmhouse style...with a little vintage and a little cottage feel to it. If I love something...no matter its style, I find a place for it in my home.
hugs,
Cindy

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I think you've coined a new decorator term. Conglomerate- I think that's me!!

I took the test and it said I'm French Country, but there were many choices where I could have easily picked another style.

Nancy said...

I could easily live in any of your rooms, Jann. Our tastes are that similar. I recently took a decorating style quiz at Real Simple and my style was identified as "Vintage Eclectic", which is a pretty good match, I think. I like many of the all white rooms I see, but whenever I try to live with an all white room for very long I get antsy and have to add some kind of color to it. And ultimately it becomes more about color and less about white. I just fill my home with things I love and want to have around me. And that could change at any given moment. LOL

Rose L said...

I took the test and it said my style was country. I like the style eclectic. If you lived here, I would let you paint, primp and decorate my house! Love your ideas!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

ha ha ha MyStyle is : Whatever costs way more than i have so I don't have it! :)

I once mentioned in a post that most of my "things" were gifts or hand me downs etc and Elaine from Sunny Simple Life said that was called "early marriage"

So true....and then, if you only have a small place ( as I do ) and many of the things on your walls etc were gifts from family...you basically just leave them there since the fam is always visiting! :)

I don't know WHAT I'd do if I won the lottery and had a big house to really go to town with! Fun to dream, though :)

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

I enjoyed hearing about your style, and I loved all of the kitchens you shared above, so we think alike my friend.

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

Well, I guess I am a bit of an ecclectic soul as well, give me a little bit o' romantic, bohemian, sometimes earthy, sometimes longing for splashes of colour, other times I yearn for white spaces with accents of earthtones,lots of texture and the next moment I can be all about primitive, rustic farmhouse, but then again I love French country, beach cottagy and Nordic decor styles. So what's a girl to do? Surround yourself with things you love and that brings you joy!

Great post Jann!:)

Instagram