Black Cat Love!

Hello my friends, growing up I came from a family of 'cat haters'.  Yes, sorry to say that they did not like those fine furry friends.
 
 
(followed me home from a road trip two years ago)
 
 
So, naturally I did not care for them either.  It didn't help when I saw my neighbors cats jump up on their cupboards and lick the butter.  For sure it didn't make me feel any
 fondness towards them.  lol!
 
 
 
In fact, I would cringe when a cat would rub up against my leg.  I smile now when I see my sisters react the same way.
 
It wasn't until my youngest daughter begged, (I mean begged) to have one of the neighbors kittens that I grew to love cats.
 
 
(not a black cat, but his cape is; so that counts)
 
Who knew what a darling personality, Shadow would have and how I actually learned to love that little cat hug to the leg.
 
 
(I painted this one years ago and it lights up)
 
 
Well, it didn't stop there.  One day a stray cat showed up in our back yard and try as we might for a couple of weeks he would not leave.  He was also the only cat that Shadow would not chase away. Then one day hubby said, "Maybe Shadow needs a friend"  Now we became the owner of two cats instead of one.
 

 
(Crackled and painted this large paper mache cat a long time ago)
 
Kylee named the adopted cat, Shidie (never did know how to spell it).  She thought it went well with Shadow.  Who knows what goes on in the mind of a child.  lol!
 
 
(black cats on my vintage noise makers)
 
Once the word got out that I was no longer a cat hater, I'll be darned if they didn't start coming home with me.
 
 
(this one came home from a sisters trip to Colorado)
 
I'm sure my cat hating sisters couldn't believe I wanted this silly looking cat!
 
We no longer have Shadow or Shidie, (spelling); but I tell you I loved those cats!  Don't think I'll ever have another cat.  We like taking off too much, but I'm awfully glad that they won my heart!
 

(this one followed me home from Salem, Massachusetts)
 
There's nothing quite like the purr of a kitten or a cat nibbling at your toes!  Yes, Shidie loved to nip our tootsies!  My sister's just don't know what they are missing.  Hee-hee!
 
But for now I'll settle for a bit of 'black cat love' during the month of October.
 
And I'll leave you with a recipe for black cat licorice caramels.
They are the PURR-fect Halloween treat!
 
Yum-Yum!
 

 1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 c. Light Karo syrup
1 cup butter
2 c. Sugar...

1/4 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Anise oil
1 tsp. Black paste food coloring
Butter a 9" pan ( I used 8x11)
In a 4 at. Heavy saucepan combine everything but oil
 and food coloring.
Cook, stirring constantly to 230-235 degrees (firm ball stage). Remove from heat and stir in oil and coloring. Without scraping, pour into buttered pan. Allow to set at room temperature overnight. Cut into 1" squares. Wrap in caramel wraps and enjoy! Makes a lot.
* I scrape the pan onto a buttered plate to eat. No waste!!! It's usually a little harder than your caramels will be.
 


And one more silly black cat added to the litter yesterday.
 

 
Oh, but I have to show you this one that Pinterest just sent to me as a recommended pin.
 
Ah yes, I'd snag that up in a heart beat if I ever came upon it!
 
I would surely give it a little of my black cat love! 
 
How about you?  Do you like cats?
 
hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these lovely parties:

 

29 comments

Linda W. said...

Cute story about your cats. I'm more of a dog person, but I did have a cat growing up.

Sandi Magle said...

Ha, Ha, I have quite the collection of black cat's which started with Cinder...who was black, but looked like she had tire tracks on her back in sandy color. And for the longest time I collected other black cats, I will have to dig them out next year...and we can have a catfest!Thanks for the reminder, because I do miss her though it has been over 20 years since she went to cat heaven at 19. Thanks, Sandi

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

I love CERTAIN cats. You know how much I loved my Romeo kitty, died in May. Just yesterday I was crying about it. I ADORED that furry friend.

Your kitty collection for Halloween is beyond adorbs.

Hugs! ♥♥♥

cynthia lee designs said...

Yep...I like cats. We have 2 cats living with us...they are our youngest daughter's. She needed to come back home for a while. We also have 2 little dogs...so there is never a dull moment at our house right now.
~Cindy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I have always loved cats and as a child begged for one! My Dad got me a black cat and I loved her until the end. I have had many cats over the years but my now cat Charlie who is 17 is my best boy ever! I love him so much.
hugs,
Linda

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Hi Jann, your black cat collection is very cute! I especially like that first one, it looks Victorian inspired.

Junkchiccottage said...

Jan love all your whimsy and fun kitties for Halloween. So cute all of them.
Kris

Sarah said...

Jann, I read with interest because I had a cat as a child rather than a dog. Then when I married I bought a dog into the marriage, and my husband had a cat. Now we just have our sweet Sadie, but I'll tell you there are plenty of black cats here at Hyacinths during the Halloween season. I've not done a post on them this year, but you can find a post or two in the archives if you want to see them. Scroll down to cat in the index. It's fun to find some different ones. I like the ones you have living at your house. '-)

Art and Sand said...

We had 2 black cats over the years, but we will never have a cat again.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Sweet story about your cats. My daughter loves cats too. I love that first statue. That is a very unique candy that you made. Happy Halloween! xoxo Su

jenclair said...

Like them or not, we have a Triad. A tabby, a black, a tuxedo--3 different color patterns and 3 different sizes, all from the same litter.

Love your collection of black cats!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Love all your darling cats but I do have to admit that i like them much better in this form and not in the real form.....

Hugs,
Deb

Sandra said...

Love cats; and black cats are my favorite. Can't have any...allergies run in the family. Would if I could!

quakerhillfarm said...

Love your black cats! I have a real live black cat names of all things "Blackie" how original, right? He is a sweetheart. Love the recipe tucked in the middle, they sound yummy! Have a black cat week! Lynn

Rose L said...

Cats have a way of making lovers out of haters! You were converted! Hallelujah!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It was very interesting to read the story of "your" Shadow. And I know "you can never have just one cat"!

Tea in the Library said...

When I have prayed,"Lord, use me where I am." He has usually sent cats to my door.

decorayadora said...

Hi deae Jan !! Gran cantidad de imágenes de gatitos !! Veo que le gustan mucho a usted

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love all of your black cats. What fun to have around the house, especially your newest one. He's fabulous! I have loved cats all of my life and this is the first time I have owned a black one. My Cyrus is such a sweet boy and so loving. He is just beautiful with that sleek black fur and green eyes. Never knew I could love a black cat so much!

Pat said...

Jann,
Yes!!! I've always had a cat!!!
That is, until we lost our beloved Maurice to Kidney shut~down.
After 12 years of love and devotion,
I just can not bring myself to go through that heart~ache, again.
I adore your charming collection of CATS!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann, you have quite a litter of kitty's. I love the one your brought back from Salem, he has a very mischievous grin, don't turn your back on him for very long. lol Hugs, Jo

http://thankfullga447 said...

Love your collection, you make Halloween fun.

Anonymous said...

My favorite girlhood cat was a black cat! I guess you could say I've had a cat filled life. BUT they are not allowed to jump up on the counter tops! Yuck!

MyDIY said...

mydiyol.blogspot.de


Hello Jann,
I can not understand that you can hate cats.
There are such beautiful creatures that you just have to love easy.
I like cats very much.
This is my hangover "Tyson" which can be seen in this post of mine:
  Möbel - Tuning auf meine art (Mai 2015)
Maybe someone is interested to look at my cat.
Many greetings
Uwe

MyDIY said...

I did not mean like Jann, but people who hate cats.
Please do not misunderstand.
The translation has not been quite right. Sorry.
Otherwise delete the comment please.
Many greetings
Uwe

priscilla said...

Love all your Halloween cats!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann,
Oh I love all of your cat statues and the cat painting is just cute. I love that recipe for Licorice Caramels. I bet they are delicious!
Thanks so much for joining and sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
I hope you have a nice week and Happy Halloween!
Julie xo

Debbie said...

I'd be that crazy cat lady if I could! We now have 4 cats inside & a family of cats has started to hang out in the yard. We can't take anymore in...but we feed them & hope to find someone to trap & neuter them. Cats are so loving...and such characters. They always make you laugh...or want to pull your hair out! Life isn't complete without a cat.

Jess said...

These are such cute ideas! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Instagram