Ga Ga for Grain Sack!

Hello my friends, for quite some time now I have been Ga, Ga, for grain sack.  Don't know why, but I just love it!
 
Lately I have been having a bit of grain sack fun!  I painted a trio of thrift find cutting boards.
 
 
A large white box.
 
I also love adding numbers now and then.
 

 
And a step stool that is holding a pumpkin out on the porch
 
 
 
This summer I picked up a pretty Windsor style bench at a yard sale.  It was in great shape, and really didn't need to be redone, but I just felt that it wanted to be red. :)
 
oh, and it also let me know that it would like a number.  hee-hee!

 
So I pulled out the paint.  Have you ever tried this chalk paint from Joanne's?  Very inexpensive, (especially with a 40 off coupon), and goes on nicely.
 
 
 
Here's the before. . .

 
And the after.
 

I wanted it to have a rustic feel for my farmhouse basement kitchen, so I sanded the edges and waxed it with both dark and clear Annie Sloan wax.


 
I decided to add a touch of humor and use the number 3.  In other words, this bench holds no more than a capacity of 3, two if you're chubby!  ha, ha! (that would be me)
 
I made these grain sack pillows last year.  I toyed with making a grain sack cushion for the bench, but then decided to just paint it and add the pillows instead.
 
Love how it turned out!

 
It looks right at home in the farmhouse kitchen.


The dark wax and the painted grain sack tie the white table and black chairs together wonderfully!
 
 

 
There you have it, a little bit of grain sack love!
 
if you would like to see more grain sack goodness, check out my
Tickled by ticking, toile, and grain sack pinterest board
 
I adore a combination of  these fabrics.  Throw in a few checks as well and it's just heavenly!
 
hugs,

34 comments

Bernideen said...

What a great project! Loved the final look!

Art and Sand said...

Ooh, I wonder what I can paint?

Lovely inspiration.

NanaDiana said...

I just love that bench, Jann....AND your other projects, too. I do love the looks of grainsack anything. I knew what the three was for before you mentioned it..and thought...uh...that would be a TWO at my house. lol

Have a great day. IF you have time pop over and sign up for the giveaway for my son's new venture. xo Diana

janie said...

Love it, great work!!

Enjoy, Janie

Susie said...

Jann, That is so sweet. I love that idea. I may have to paint a few things around here. LOL. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Stacey said...

How cute!! You know I love red and the bench is too adorable.

20 North Ora said...

Love your bench. So many uses for it. It looks darling in with your table and chairs. Great job.

Judy

Maureen Wyatt said...

Love them all but the bench is my favourite! Off to check out your Pinterest board.

Parlor Room Ponderings said...

Beautiful bench! You could do a lot with that at Christmas! I like the box you painted with the No.2 Great jobs!

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Such fun projects! I love the color of the red bench you painted, it turned out amazing, and looks perfect in your kitchen :)

Tea in the Library said...

Wow! LOVE IT! What a great job. Grain sack is one of those classics that you never get tired of.

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love the bench!! I've used this paint and I really like it.
~Cindy

Alicia de los Santos said...

I ❤ them !!!!!!!!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

The red bench is too cute! Love it. xoox Su

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

The bench is phenomenal!! I love that paint and recently used that color on a stool. Thinking of using it on a mailbox next. Is the grain sack a stencil?

Dana said...

I love your obsession with grain sack design. You are so creative Jann! The red three seater is so adorable and looks great in the second kitchen. Like anything sophisticated, the price of quality old grain sack linen has skyrocketed. I think your grain sack motif is super!

jenclair said...

I love your bench!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

I love your bench Jann! It's perfect red, and I love grain sack print to. I'm so glad that you showed a piece using black wax i'm redoing a table and want to use it but I was afraid it would be to dark but I think it will work. Thanks for the ideas. Hugs, Jo

Cheryl said...

I love it all!! You are such an inspiration, have a great week!!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Jann, You are so creative and talented! I love everything, especially the red bench, it's fabulous. :)

One More Time Events said...

Oh Jann I just love your bench sooooo cute! Thank you for sharing at Share it One More Time... Tammy

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

I love both grain sack and numbers and they go so very well together. Your projects are fabulous, Jann. Red and white is a combination that makes me smile. What a lovely bench.

mimi_62 said...

Love the bench with that table! Beautiful.

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Your bench looks wonderful!

decorayadora said...

Esa banqueta roja me encanta como quedo !! Un gran trabajo amiga

Pat said...

Jann,
Your Farmhouse Kitchen Bench looks amazing painted red, dear friend!!!
Love the Grain~sack paint effect and the grain~sack pillows!!!
Very clever!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Doreen said...

Love your bench makeover! Great color and detail.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Jann, it's perfect! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the Features at the Round-Up from the Before & After Wednesday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/10/the-last-round-up-from-before-after.html Have a lovely rest of the week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Pili said...

Jann, I love the after!! I am a grain sack lover so, what can I say? The boards and wooden box are lovely too. Pinning it for future inspiration!
Hugs,
Pili

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I think I need to paint a huge grain sack stripe around my house...or maybe my front door. I love them! Your red bench is fabulous and I love the 3 person warning. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

Donna Wilkes said...

Great transformation of the red bench. What ? No grain stripes for your pumpkin!?!

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann I love all of your grain sack projects and your dining bench is just fabulous & so you! Thanks so much for sharing @Vintage Charm! Blessings, Cecilia

Debra Howard said...

What a great way to add more around your home! I can even see this technique used on a porch, a door, or even a mailbox.

Diana said...

Oh my, Jann, it's grain sack heaven!! Love all your projects, but the deacon's bench is a real winner. I'm featuring it tomorrow at Vintage Charm. Thanks so much for bringing your bench to the party :)

Instagram