About 130 ornaments later. . .

Hello my friends,
today I am sharing with you a project that we made in Craft group.
About 130 ornaments later, I now have a fabulous ornament tree!

This photo is of three of the 5 trees created that night.  Mine is the back right one.

 This is how we began.
Last Christmas one of our craft friends, Joanne made the most amazing ornament tree.  We were all in awe of it. Right then and there we decided that we would make one next year.

That gave us a year to gather and collect.  We then chose a base.  I had this vintage hammered tray that I bought at an estate sale years ago.  It fit the look I was going for.  All of our cones are metal and varied in sizes.  We hot glued them to our base and then. . .
 the fun began!

It's a bit like piecing together a puzzle.  You start at the bottom and work your way up.  The key is to put the hot glue where there is contact and hold in place for a while.

This photo shows the variety of bases and cones.  I actually bought the crystal and gold one, but decided it was too fancy for me.  It was perfect for my friend, Jackie!

Karen put hers in an urn, which I loved!  Brenda used
 a wooden one.


I didn't want to spend a million bucks on this tree.  When I put my Christmas away last year I saved a few ornaments that I didn't mind using.  I have a collection of shiny brites, but I couldn't bring myself to use them.  I bought a couple of boxes on sale at Home Goods, and some individual ones at Hobby Lobby.  A large share of them I picked up at thrift shops.
  
Only Brenda finished her tree that night.  Most of us found we needed more ornaments. 

I finished mine a few days later and sat it on my living room coffee table for you to see.


I tried to count the ornaments to give you some idea of how many it takes.  I lost track at 120 something.  And who knows if I counted some more than once.  (wink)  Of course the number you need will depend on your size of cone.
The only thing I might do is add some gold or silver foliage in the tiny holes.

Now let's take a closer look at some of my favorite ornaments.
This little pixie, 1/2 price from Hobby Lobby is one of my favorites.


The little house and train were thrift finds.  The cute striped elf was one I bought after Christmas last year.  I've had the
glass mitten for years.


The candy ornaments were more thrift finds.  I added just a few shiny brites that I picked up on our recent trip to Colorado.



I love the lamppost!  It's one I just bought at Hobby Lobby.  Luckily they were half price.  You need lots of small
 ornies for filler.


Even after buying more ornaments I still couldn't quite make it to the top.  I started decorating my bedroom and found a few that I didn't mind using in one of my boxes.  I've had this snowman ornament for quite a few years.


The light bulbs came from a light set I bought from Avon eons ago.  When they quit working I saved the bulbs and tossed the
light set.


This silly gnome stole my heart!


Lots of memories from many of these ornaments.


How cute is this ruffly tree?

I debated about whether or not to use this long aqua ornament.  I like the whimsy that it brings.


Another friend, Natalie gave me this Santa tree finial for my topper.
I love him!



I am loving my ornament tree and it was very fun to make.  The only question is now, "how am I going to store it?"  :)


Have you created anything fun lately?

Hugs,
Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:





32 comments

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

That is fabulous! The best Christmas decor I've ever seen. I am not kidding! I am going through my things right away and hitting thrift jobs with a purpose now! I'm going to find enough ornaments to make my own next year if I don't make it this year. Thanks for sharing this.

Salmagundi said...

Wonderful project!! It gives me more impetus to look for more ornaments. Do I need any more inspiration? --- probably not, but still a great decoration. Sally

Anonymous said...

Jann, my first thought was WOW! My second thought was where would one store it! I love how you collected the ornaments throughout the year. They turned out beautifully! I'd love to make one next year.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Beautiful!! What is the come made of? I would love to make this.

Sandi Magle said...

How do porcupines make love?......VERY carefully....I'm sure you will think of something for great storage, how about plain old bubble wrap---grins. !
Cute post--_ONLY one (Christmas) I have commented on ---.

Art and Sand said...

I think I need to move to Utah so I can join your craft group!

Jeanie said...

This is stunning -- and I wouldn't have used my shiny brites either! It really does take my breath away.

Buy the bubble wrap now. And a very safe box!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It looks like you girls have so much fun creating together, Jann! Now you've got a tree that will make you smile each year when you take it out. Darling!

Susan said...

Oh wow I love those trees!!!

NanaDiana said...

What a cute idea. Now I wish I had saved some of the ornaments I gave away. lol I am thinking bubble wrap and a specialty box from UHaul for storage. That is how I have an specialty tree stored. Good luck and fingers crossed for no breakage!!! xo Diana

Louca por porcelana said...

Fantastic trees!Love them!Wow,great job,Jann!

mimi_62 said...

What a conversation piece!!! LOVE it. Would love to make one!!

Jonni said...

OMGosh I love your tree! I am going to start collecting bulbs for a tree like this next Christmas.

Charlotte said...

OMG! I pass up literally millions of ornaments at yard sales!! Never again!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Oh, I would store that fabulous cutie VERY carefully!! I just love how it turned out and your individual ornaments are so sweet. I tried making a wreath with Shiny Brites and it was hard! I have to finish it or my ornaments will be wasted :-(

Ruthie Miller said...

Oh Jann, what a delight for the eyes!! They are all so sweet. I can't wait to after Christmas shop and make one for next year. How gorgeous they are. Are the ornaments all small ones? Miniature? I don't think so but want to check. Also the base has to be metal? I will go back and look to see what I missed and to enjoy again and again. Did you mention the glue? will check that out too. What a treasure you have created.

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

Jann, I love your ornament tree. It is a feast for your eyes. So many lovely ornaments to look at. Your craft group comes up with so many fantastic crafts to do together.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

That's an AWESOME tree, Jann!! Wow, that must have taken quite some time to put together, what a treasure! Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Sherry said...

I am in love with these trees and I must make one. Thanks for the inspiration.

Gwen Simmons said...

I am in love. This is gorgeous. I collect pretty ornaments I find when thrifting, and this would be an ideal project!!! Thanks for sharing.

Ksunshine52 said...

Fantastic! I'm planning for next year!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

How fun was that! What a cute idea. I’d gently wrap it with a layer of bubble wrap and then cut a box to fit around it like a cylinder for storage. 😊

Rose L said...

Lots of work! Looks so lovely!!

Michelle H said...

That is GORGEOUS!!!! What a wonderful way to display ornaments- and what a perfect reason to buy more, haha!

Oliva Ohlson said...

Jann this is so gorgeous!!! I want one...I'll start planning to make one for next year like you did...on my Bucket List!!! TFS

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love your ornament tree, Jann! I've seen wreaths made like this but I like the tree shape better. It's so pretty and fun to look at with all the special ornaments you added to it.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Jann, your little ornament tree is the cutest thing! Thanks for sharing and giving us all some inspiration. Hugs...Sandi

Linda Kilsdonk said...

I love love love your ornament tree! What a completely fabulous idea! I can't have a Christmas tree -- either real or artificial -- because of my kitty, Fred. However, I think something like this would work wonderfully. And you don't have to trim it each year! Where did you find the cones that the tree is built upon? Thank you so much for sharing this enormously entertaining post! You have inspired me! I'm off to find some ornaments! Happy Thanksgiving! Smiles, Linda at Paper Seedlings

Decor To Adore said...

I HAD to pin this as it is just gorgeous! I made a wreath a few years back but this must be even more labor intensive. Well done!

Gersch said...

LOVE it! Now I'm going to start looking at bargain ornaments wherever I go. To store it I would wrap it generously in bubble wrap, the small bubble size and store it in it's own box, close to it's size. Although I've seen trees and wreaths that are similar, your tree is the best ever!!

Stacey said...

Jann, that just couldn't be any cuter! I would love to do this too. Now is the cone a foam cone? You probably said that.

I'm going to make sure Jemma sees this. She and I are trying to get a crafting group together. :)

Deborah said...

So cute! I think I’d love to do one for my kitchen with all my gingerbread/cookie ornaments or a centerpiece with a nutcracker themed for parties for the grandkids%. Thanks for sharing.

Instagram