Quilting Retreat. . .Day 2

159

Everything we received at the retreat was dandy, but this pin cushion bust had to be my all time fav!

160

Thanks to Aunt Bunny and her yard sale antics it was decorated with vintage finds.  The paper strips on the skirt was found in the bottom of one of the boxes of treasures.

161

She also provided them with antique buttons, lace, ribbons, and rick-rack.

Let me tell you, these are visionary ladies.  Dolly, Maurdie, and Chris.  They found the pattern on the internet.  Said it was for a witch, who’d a thunk?  the base is a candle holder from the $1 store.  CLEVER!

081

                                  Maurdie

               082

                                    Chris

These two are Dolly’s right hand women.  Our sister Julie usually helps out, but this year she was remodeling, like I said.  She did furnish a couple of yummy desserts.

In the afternoon we were presented with a wonderful ‘trunk show’.  This was given by Paula, Julie’s friend.  She has only been quilting for about 3 years.  Wow, she took to it like Lance Armstrong riding a bike.

025

028

029

030

034

038

040

042043045

048

032

See what I mean, a lot of quilts!  She had made all of these just this year. Twelve of them!  Now, I made twelve quilts one year, only one year mind you; and they didn’t have all this applique on them.  This woman makes my tired ache.  She is so ambitious!

Bear with me, I know that this is a long post.  I have to share with you a bit of Dolly’s yard art.

067

Her geranium stepping stone.  LOVE the red glass!

071

Dolly and Julie had created a few of these yard stakes.  They were all made from assorted vintage and some new glassware.  Julie gave Jeanne and I materials to make our own.  Thanks sis!

You’ve heard of a bottle tree, like the one in this picture.

075

Dolly had a little bottle garden.

065

Now for today’s recipe:

Dolly’s Baked French Toast

1 loaf regular wheat bread (or french bread)

6 eggs

1  1/2 c. cream

2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. nutmeg and cinnamon

1/4 c. sugar

1 c. orange juice

Slap two pieces of bread together (just 1 if french), squish into a large generously greased cookie sheet.  Combine other ingredients-pour over bread.  Soak overnight.  Bake @ 375 for 20 min.  TURN THEM OVER.  Top with topping.  Bake and additional 20 min.

Topping:  6 Tbs. softened butter

              1 c. brown sugar

               1/2 c. chopped pecans (and macadamias)

               1 Tbs. Karo syrup

This is so delicious I could eat it 24 – 7.  So good it doesn’t even need syrup.

Again, the company was so FINE and the food simply DIVINE!

More to come tomorrow. :)

 

3 comments

By the Bluegrass said...

You lucky girl...getting to go to a quilt retreat! I would love that. And, your little sewing bust is adorable!
xo,
sena

grammycarolynn (flickr) said...

Oh, I love your blog! I feel like I have been transported (via the internet) to a lovely, creative retreat!
Blessings!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

My mother would think she had died and gone to heaven at a quilt retreat. Love it!

Instagram