The Green Green Grass of Home

Hello my friends,
what a beautiful Saturday morning it is here in Alpine!
 
As much as I'd like to say that my grass is lush and green, that would be a right out lie.
 
Having been covered with snow for many months it looks dead as a doornail and our back lawn is full of Vole trails!
YIKES!  We've never had this happen before.
 
No, the green green grass that I am referring to is the pretty grass I've planted in pots for Spring.
 
 
One might say that the grass is greener on the other side.  Meaning, the other side of the door.  Inside instead of out.  :)
 
Each year I gather pots from my garage and bring them in to be planted.  I have the perfect sunshine window and the seeds sprout in no time at all.
 
 
Most of them have no drainage so I smash a pop can or two and toss into the bottom.  Also, you use less dirt that way.


I fill it 3/4 full with dirt and then sprinkle the seed quite generously.



Any grass seed will do.  I just buy the cheapest bag at Home Depot.  This one I have had for 5 or so years.  It's called Tall Fescue.  I'm at the bottom of the bag and will need to buy more next year.
 
You can even use wheat.  Only one year mine did not sprout.  Guess it was just too old.  You get a bigger blade with wheat, but still fun.
 


Just barely cover the seeds with dirt and tap down.  I mist mine with my tap sprayer daily.
 
In 1 1/2 to 2 weeks you have a lovely breath of Spring!
 


That's when the fun begins!  I place them around the house in springtime vignettes.
 
I added the rubber ducky for some humor.
He's swimming in a sea of green.  :)
 

 
This photo turned out dark, but I loved the simplicity of it just being inside a stack of pretty dishes.
 
 
I pinned a piece of pretty ribbon and a felt flower to this pot. 

 
Then I tossed in a shiny Happy Easter egg.
 
Some will end up out on the porch with eggs tucked down inside the grass.  I will wait until next week to do that.  I want the grass to get a little more established.
 
When your grass gets too long you can either cut it or I like leaving some of it looking like it's having a bad hair day.  lol!
 


I saw in the Country Living magazine how they had planted lanterns with succulents.
 
I had one that the door had been bent.  I took it off and placed a little ceramic cabbage house inside.  I found it at a thrift shop.
 
I planted seed around and placed a few succulents in the front.
I'm hoping to add some stones, a few bottle brush trees, and a couple of my cute gnomes.
 

 
I'll share it after I get through playing with it.  Hoping it turns out as fun as it is in my mind.  hee-hee!
 
I love the green grass pots and they will carry me through for St. Patty's and Easter.
 
Hopefully by then I have my real green green grass of home!
 
hugs,
Jann
 
 I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
Bernideens for BTTCG
Talk of the Town
Thoughts of Home

25 comments

decorayadora said...

Hi dear Jann!! Que bonita forma de exponer las plantas ! Que tengas un buen finde

Susie said...

Jann, You do the cutest things. I like the pots of grass and that tiny cabbage house is too sweet. It would be cute anywhere. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Parsimonious Décor Darling said...

How sweet and perfect for Spring! Too cute.

NitkaDesign said...

What a great idea to have your own piece of green grass at home:-)
Its great for the upcoming Easter time.
Greetings:-)

living from glory to glory said...

Oh, I just loved this idea, thanks for sharing! Yes where is the springtime colors? My spring flowers are peeking out their little heads!
Thinking of you...
Hugs, Roxy

Joy Junktion said...

This is a really fun idea! So simple but very creative and usable! May try this week! Blessings, Cindy xo

My Bashful Life said...

I really love this idea. I wish I could have lovely plants throughout my home in the spring but it seems I can not keep a plant alive! I do think I can handle grass. And how adorable it is to add cute sparkle eggs and yellow ducks. I think I will give this a go for my Easter table. This may actually work, thank you so much for sharing!
xoxo Mickey visiting from http://www.mybashfullife.com/

handmade by amalia said...

What a fun project, Jann. I really like it.
Amalia
xo

Cherie said...

This post did make me smile. It never occurred to me to grow grass in pots but I bet it does look very fresh and green. I love the ribbon and flower around the pot and will do that with some of my indoor pots. I find so many great ideas on your posts.

vivian said...

cute idea! I bet my cats would eat it though! lol! Figgy already chews on houseplants.. If I take them outside (when its not winter) they'll spend an hour eating grass and then puking! lol!
anyways.. I love youre idea. and the popcan idea is a good idea too!
have a great sunday
xoxo
vivian

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

You have a lovely green corner to lift your spirits and take your mind off those dang holes outside. Where we're at it's fire-ant mounds. Always something. Maybe you have the right idea to just plant inside. Lovely.

Rita C at Panoply said...

What a cheerful and smart thing to do, Jann! Very cute.
I have had trouble with voles and moles, too. They're hard to get rid of, and can wreak havoc on the yard with their tunnels. They're after the grubs, so if you can get rid of the grubs, you're on your way. In our region, the grubs were surfacing intermittently throughout winter, when the temps and ground would warm, so more activity with the varmints. :/
Rita

Stacey said...

Pretty! I'd like to do this too.

We had voles in our yard in Oklahoma. They are so cute at first but the wreak havoc! Our yard turned into a mushy sinkhole in some places.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So sweet. Love the grass!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a fun way to bring the green of spring indoors, Jann! We had one day of spring-like weather, but it's cold and snowing again this morning. Enjoy your indoor greenery!

Rose L said...

The little cottage is so cute! My yard is green and daffodils are blooming like crazy!

Kiki Nakita said...

So cute! Would be perfect for a St. Patricks Day Tablescape.

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Such a cute idea Jann! The fresh green grass really makes you want Spring to come right?
Happy Sunday to you!
Gina

Betty said...

I love your pretty little pots and what a cute idea to sew grass in them this time of the year.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love the grass you planted...we sure need it this time of year! It snowed again here today and dropped 30 degrees...

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

What a sweet idea! It is a fun way to add some Spring indoors and easy! Love it!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I'm going to have to try planting grass from seeds! I love your idea of using the smashed soda can; great idea for drainage and for filling up the pot. Pinning! Thanks for sharing your clever ideas at Talk of the Town.

Tea in the Library said...

Good idea for the lantern can't wait for updates as it grow. I bought some extra wheat grass packets at the pet supply. One for the 3 little kittens and a couple for my Easter tablescape.

Stacey said...

Love the grass and the pretty colored pots, Jann. You always have so many great things going on. :)

Thanks so much for supporting Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

Decor To Adore said...

I think hubby has some grass seed in the garage. I appreciate the lovely inspiration.
Thank you ever so much for linking up at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Your presence adds such a ray of sunshine!

Instagram