Chenille #4

Hello my friends, outside it's snowing and blowing,
but inside it's warm and cozy.
 
Perfect time for sharing my vintage chenille!
 
 
I shared it on Instagram right after I made them and got a lot of sweet comments.
 
I always have my eyes out for old chenille spreads at thrift shops and estate sales.  I had not had any luck but then, all at once I started finding them.
 
My count is now up to #4.
You know, we've all heard of Chanel #5, well this is not quite the same; but every bit as lovely.
 
I love chenille, but really don't need 4 spreads.  I pick them up with projects in mind.  One was so nice that I let a granddaughter use it on her bed. 
One is purple and I think it will be fun to use for spring.
 
 
 
I found one with pom poms and it's a beauty.  I thought I would make the shams out of it, but after laying it out I liked the fringe better.
 
It ended up in the living room.
 
 
 Now for the how to's:
 
Start by cutting a piece of chenille the size of your pillow form plus 1/2" for seams.  Mine was 27" square.  I cut it 27 1/2" x 27 1/2".
 
Normally this would be the front of your sham, but because I wanted the fringe to hang over on the front the solid piece is going to be my back.
 
 
 
Next cut two pieces for the front.  One  approximately 2/3rds.  I cut mine 16 x 27 1/2.  The other piece cut 1/3 plus 5 inches for overlapping.  I cut mine 12 inches x 27 1/2.  This is where I used the fringe piece.  (Make sense?) 
 8 inches was 1/3.
 
Iron down 1/4 inch on one long edge of the piece you cut 2/3rds.  Then fold it over again and sew for a nice finished edge.
 

Lay your large square down with the right side facing up.  Then with right sides together lay the smaller 1/3 plus 5 piece at the top.  Next with right sides together place the larger piece you hemmed to the bottom overlapping in the center.
 


Pin edges and sew (normally a 1/4" seam.  chenille frays so I sewed a 1/2" seam to make sure it held).
 
I always backstitch well where the two pieces overlap.  It gives it extra strength and keeps it from ripping after taking pillow form in and out.
 
Trim each corner to eliminate bulk.
 
 
 Turn right side out.

I use the end of a sharpened small dowel to push the corners out nicely.
 

 
Insert your pillow form and voila!  You have a lovely euro sham.

 
The hardest part is cutting the second one to be the exact same placement on the chenille.  :)


I still love my 'Good Morning, Good Night' pillows gifted to me by sweet Carol from Art and Sand
I found the Love pillow at T.J. Maxx a few years ago.


I pulled out the handmade lace coverlet I scored at an estate sale for $30.  I could hardly believe that it was big enough to fit our king sized bed.  Before now I have just used it on my kitchen table.


I draped one of my small Valentines table toppers across the bottom edge and added a ruffled pillow to the bench.



The night stand got dressed up with this sweet runner given to me by my friend, Amanda last year.  She had me as her 'secret pal' in a club we belong to.
 

 
Sending a little Valentine 'love' your way this cold February day!
hugs,
Jann
 
I will be sharing with these lovely parties:
 
 

37 comments

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I love chenille and have an old bedspread that belonged to my grandmother.

Your chenille pillow is perfect.

Tamara said...

your chenille pillow is beautiful, Jann! And your pillow collection and arrangement is very charming.. love the red, white and creams. It's cold and blowing here today in the AZ mountains, too. Stay warm <3

Hugs,
Tamara

Stacey said...

Your collection of pillows just couldn't be any prettier. I love that you were gifted pillows by Carol. You two are both in a creative league all your own.

Betty said...

Love your chenille pillow!! Warm Hugs,

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

The chenille pillow is so cute. Perhaps Chenille #5 will show up soon! LOL... I have a vague memory of a white chenille bedspread on my parents bed when I was real young. It probably got handed down to one of her sister's. We're expecting a couple of inches later tomorrow. It's been so much more mild all along I don't mind!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Love the pillow! A couple of years ago I bought two bedspreads at a auction for $1, so I thought I would cut them up to sew.........well they are in too good of shape for me to bring myself to do that.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh gosh Jann, I just love chenille, too, and your pillow turned out great! Your whole room looks so pretty for Valentine's Day! ❤️

Kim said...

Chenille is rather akin to gold, isn't it. I am always on the lookout for some of these pretties, but don't have much success in sniffing them out. =) Your pillow is gorgeous and LOVE your room.....'tis heaven. My oh my, weren't you a lucky gal being gifted the lovely good night and good morning pillows, they are beautiful.

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Jann, you have a way with chenille! Love your pillows. :)

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann, you are soooo talented, these peices are amazing.

YOu are such a dear heart.

Huge hugs and smiles.

♥♥♥

Kim said...

Love, love, love the chair covered in pom poms!! Oh my goodness, how sweet. Now I am on the hunt for chenille...and I love those red pillows too! Fabulous!!

quakerhillfarm said...

I love all of those pillows! Anything handmade always touches my heart! Have a great week, Lynn

lynn cockrell said...

I love chenille and those pillows are wonderful. It reminds me that I have a vintage bedspread that I have owned since it was brand new. It has some picks here and there. I have been trying to imagine what I could do with it to make it useful again. Maybe pillows is the answer!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love the fringed chenille pillow you made, Jann! I've got chenille bedspreads on all 3 of the beds in our house, but your crocheted coverlet has me thinking. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

What a clever idea! Love your grouping of pillows on your bed. '-)

mimi_62 said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for the tutorial, my friend.

Cindy Lou said...

Absolutely adorable!

Pat said...

Jann,
Love your chenille pillow with the fringe, dear friend!!!
Your touches of Valentine's on the Master Bed are so~o`o romantic!!!
We are still having warm temperatures and loads of Sunshine!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Betty said...

I don't have any chenille spreads, but grew up with them. My Mom loved them and hers had to have the balls on them. I do have a chenille robe and it is so comfy this time of the year.

Art and Sand said...

That is the cutest darn pillow!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann you are the utimate at anything that you touch! The pillows are amazing. I love the touches for Valentines day. Stay warm and toasty!
xx Jo

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Pretty chenille pillow Jann!

Debby Ray said...

I absolutely love chenille! I look for it often as well and love these darling pillows you have created. Great inspiration here, Jann!

Susie said...

Jann, You are a great at sewing. I loved all your beautiful pillows. You just proved that things need to be made over, and not thrown out. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love chenille and never thought to make pillows out of a bedspread. That's why I follow blogs like yours to get all the great ideas! Your bed looks great!!

Rose L said...

You are so very creative. I love how you do "rescue" makeovers and re-purpose so many items! Those pillows are all wonderful! Thank you again for my adorable apron!

Patti said...

OK - I was going to donate my spreads to the thrift store. Now, I don't think so! You inspire me every time I see your blog! Thank you for taking the fun photos and time to share with us! It's awesome to see what you do!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Happy February Jann! I like your chenille pillow and your crocheted bedspread is absolutely gorgeous!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I adore your chennile pillow. It is beautiful! Love all the pictures. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Diana said...

Love the play on words, Jann--Chenille #4--so clever. Your bedding is stunning and I love the mix of new and old. But I REALLY love your euro-style chenille pillow sham. Now if I can just find my chenille coverlet...

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Beautiful work, Jann! My mom used to have such a spread on her bed when I was little.

As to picking them up in thrift shops? LOL the last time I saw one at the local mission store they wanted 40.00 for it, labeling it "Vintage". Oh well! Pass :)

Debbie Harris said...

What a gorgeous pillow! I too love chenille as it reminds me of my dear and precious Granny.
I have had robbed out of chenille in the past, so soft and warm.
That lace bed cover is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! What a find in deed.
You have a lovely place here Jenn, and it was nice to visit with you.

Blessings~~ Debbie

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Jann,
I love your pretty pillow you made. The bed looks so beautiful with all of the other pillows too.
Thanks for sharing your inspiration with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the rest of the week.
Julie xo

Jess said...

Wow...so very pretty! :)

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love, love, love all your pillows!!
hugs,
Cindy

Sharon @ Blue Willow House said...

I am always on the hunt for chenille. Your Euro pillow shams are beautiful and I love them on your bed mixed with all the other pillows to create a lovely seasonal statement. Thank you for sharing at Vintage Charm and hope to see you back this week.

Colleen said...

Would love to receive your E newsletter but was unable to find the spot to sign up
Thank you

Instagram