Tuesdays Tour. . .Playing Around with Places to Play

When we think about creating a place for our kids or grandchildren to play, most of us think of something like this. . .

A small area with fun elements.

DSC01789

We add whimsical touches to entice them to stay and play.

DSC01788

Or how about this?  A cute little place where they can pretend to be in school.

DSC01790

And deliver a special letter for the teacher.

DSC01791

We might even add some fabulous artwork.

DSC01799

Or create a larger more open space like this.

DSC01703

But, have you ever thought of creating an entire floor dedicated to ‘playing’?

All of these photos were taken at our local Home Show back in June.  Now, I’m about to show you a play area that was ‘unreal’!

I’m not judging these home owners, I’m sure they are wonderful people.  But have you ever heard someone say that the ‘younger generation seems to feel entitled?”.  If so, I’m thinking that we might just have something to do with it.

I know that as parents and grandparents we want to give our kids and grandkids the best we can.  But, are we overindulging them?  I myself am guilty at times.

Welcome to ‘Wood Square’.

DSC01687

DSC01678

Where you will find a Post Office. . .

DSC01677

A Bakery  and a Candy store. . .

DSC01679

DSC01691

DSC01684

A Salon where the girls can pretty up and a Boutique full of fabulous dress ups.

DSC01682

DSC01685

There’s a shop full of dolls. . .

DSC01688

A special place for building Legos,

DSC01681

and a fabulous nook for reading a book.

DSC01676

This play area was huge, but my favorite part was this:

DSC01689

A long wide hall way lined with bunk beds for their grands to sleep.

DSC01690

Here’s a wide view and you can see where the beds are located.

DSC01686

Well, what do you think?  Kind of makes you wish you were a kid again, right?

hugs,

Jann

17 comments

Junkchiccottage said...

Wow Jann that is pretty awesome play area for these people's grands. I bet it is so much fun to stay there.
I think so many kids have so much more these days but this is super cute and uses the imagination of the kids. With kids being so stuck on video, and electronic things this really gives them a place to play and show use their imagination to create play. Love those beds how fun. Great space.
Kris

Christina Paul said...

These are delightful! I wish I had some of these for myself lol- what fun and more importantly is how they inspire creative play!

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Jann, I just hope that with all this, that they might have a little imagination! Because so many kids are made to do things that stop their imagination, we just might be the cause of it!
Overboard is what we might call that! Kids have the ability to create if we will help them even just a little bit. Remember coloring books and crayons??
Always, Roxy

Art and Sand said...

It's like a Disneyland set.

Rose L said...

I once saw where a 1400 sq ft basement was made for the kids. It looked like a small town along each wall, lined with businesses. The center has roads for them to drive along. I think it was some movie stars home.

Salmagundi said...

I'm thinking maybe a little too much. What ever happened to a cardboard box and an old quilt for a tent??? Sally

Stacey said...

How fun! If I had grandkids I'd love to create a play house upstairs.

Anonymous said...

I love all of the small little play areas and I think that would be doable for me. The entire floor? Never in my lifetime would I be able to do that but I admit, if I could I probably would. Thank you for taking us into these play areas my mind enjoyed the playtime!

Melissa said...

Wow! And to think I was happy building "houses" out of cardboard boxes, blankets, chairs, etc. I thought I was spoiled then!

Debbie said...

WOW! What a set up! Can you just imagine such a thing? Might be fun to play in that if you were a kid. But I do think it is a bit too much. I'd rather see a kid outside a little more. We played elaborate games of house, store, church, and the like when we were kids but our houses were make shift and imagined. And when my grands are here their favorite thing to do is set up "FORTS" with blankets and pillows etc. and crawl around from fort to fort. Not a lot left to the imagination with this set up. Yes personally sadly I see alot of over indulged "entitled" kids these days, and it's not really their fault is it? This was interesting!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I think this area is pretty amazing, but doesn't leave much room for imagination. Although, if I had room in our house, I'd have a wall of bunk beds for the grands just like the ones you've shown us!

When our oldest grands stayed with us last week, they had the most fun with an old piece of galvanized downspout and a bucket of golf balls! It kept them busy for hours!

LindyLouMac said...

Overindulgence indeed! Thanks for letting me know you are featuring my recent post tomorrow. :)

Creations By Cindy said...

I love all these great ideas! Now if I only had the time and money! LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Burlap Luxe said...

Well Jann if it were my home designed to play I think it would have more of a cottage feel to it. Yet I do love that these children of this homes play area get to play in grand style. As for your play area, it think it's perfect and. Colourfull enough to keep their playful attention, small little areas make for big imaginations. don't you remember making forts with quilts and blankets strung from the bed to the toy box and a corner closed I to the drawer to keep the fort enough off the floor to crawl around in? And also making boxes with cut out windows so you can have a war with the others children in the box across the way,?

I did such a over indulging parent thing buy building in my last home a full scale play house that turned into a guest cottage later on in life. Sleep overs with friends were the way I could keep my two close by at all times keeping a mindful eye on everything ?

I adore the red stripes in your little space it's like a French parlor.... Soda parlor that is.
I also love when walk in closets are turned into little wonderments :)

I am so happy the Number ....N0. 7 worked out for you:) I was joyed to make your day by having one for you.
Thank you my dear for taking the time to visit my college girls room.....see I am still playing play house in her space :)

Blessings

Xx
Dore

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

My kids seemed to enjoy big boxes! Different times!

Donna Wilkes said...

I am speechless.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Wow...those spaces are so very impressive...trying to create a space for my granddaughter for her very own...thanks for the fabulous inspiration!!!

Instagram