Taking Center Stage. . .

Have you ever bought something, brought it home and found it to be much larger than what you thought?

I remember doing that once with a Christmas tree.  You know they look so much smaller growing out in the wild.  lol!  No big deal, just cut some of it off.

A piece of furniture, however is a different story.

Two months ago we bought an entertainment center.  One piece was on back order and then because of the dock strike it was just delivered on Tuesday.

Whoa baby, it's big, heavy too!  Much larger than I had remembered.



It definitely is taking center stage!  Ha, ha, notice that the power serge is lying on the ground still.

You certainly can't miss it.  Kind of like an elephant in the room. he-he.

I should have known that Paula Deen doesn't do anything half way.  It's all or nothing!


Big, beautiful, and stylish that's her motto.

I love the added numbers!  It has shelves too that can be added if you want to use it as a book case instead.



I love it, but it's going to take a bit of trial and error to get it staged nicely.

Hubby, thought that we needed a larger t.v.  Although last night he said now that I had added things on the sides it didn't look bad.

 
I just shopped the house to create a couple of Spring vignettes.
 
 


I was tired of what we had on the wall and wanted to mix things up a little.  Now is the perfect opportunity.


I don't care for the color of the window frames with the entertainment center.  Thinking I might sand them more and add some dark wax.  The clock definitely needs raised.



My friend, Joyce said she didn't mind the color of the frames.  What do you think?



I placed this rustic planter box on top just to see if I thought I might want to paint the window frames white.  Didn't like it!  The smaller window and shelf need to be centered in the space.



I would like something like this for up there.  I saw it at the St. George Home Shows and loved it!



I've had this canvas garden sign outdoors for a few years.  It had cracked and was faded.  Didn't mind the cracking, but I repainted it a while ago and thought it fit nicely in the arch.



Also wondering if I should just stand the window on top, bracing it to the wall of course or hang it more centered and lower.
 
 
Whatever I do on top I think that I need to keep it fairly simple.  Because the mantle is pretty busy.
 
 
I'm already contemplating different collections I could display up there.
For example:  my three vintage bird cages
or
how about my old fans.  Fun for summer don't you think?
 
Although I've got my work cut out for me getting this piece just right.  Think of the fun I'll have playing with it for a while!
 
and just to give you an idea of what I'm working around, this is our furniture sitting directly across from this beast, I mean beauty!
 
 
 I'm sure changes will come.
Till then,
 
hugs,
Jann

27 comments

priscilla said...

Love it Jann ! I love ALL of Paula Deans furniture ! I am sure you will have so much fun decorating it !

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Love that new cabinet. Hanging the TV over the fireplace sure ruins the ability to decorate it. You've inspired me to start looking for a new cabinet.

Debra@CommonGround said...

this is such a wonderful piece. Love the antique white color, I'm a fan of PD's furniture collections. Even though it's big, looks like you have a huge wall to fill. have fun!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann, that is a gorgeous piece! I like the contrast of the window frames against the white of the hutch. You will have so much fun doing this!
hugs,
Linda

Salmagundi said...

With your talents, I'm sure you will get it right -- better than right -- it will be fabulous!! Sally

Joy Junktion said...

I love your new piece Jann! I'm sure it will take some getting used to but once you do, you'll love it too! It's definitely not as huge as my big black monster!! I have the tiniest house and the biggest entertainment center ever, what was I thinking??? Anyway, enjoy playing! Blessings, Cindy

Michelle H said...

It is beautiful! I "had" to have a round coffee table for a while, everyone kept spilling on small ones, hitting knees on corners of bigger ones. I finally found one an hour and a half away, hubby was very happy I found one I liked, we got it home and dang! It was so huge!!! I just smiled and dealt with it for a long time, until the whole family was fed up with that giant thing, hahaha!

cynthia lee designs said...

Jann...that is one big piece and it is beautiful!! Love it!!
~Cindy

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

It is a beautiful piece, and really has a bold statement. So many time I buy something thinking it is the perfect size to get it home and find out its' huge. You room looks big enough to hold it though. I have a similar situation right now, the china hutch I have is HUGE, and it almost swallows up the whole room, the Charmer is not large and one night I expect to wake up and find everything was swallowed up by it!

Art and Sand said...

I know you will stage it perfectly!

J said...

Rather than "an elephant in the room," I prefer the term "focal point!" I think it is lovely and NOT too big! - especially when I saw the rest of the room. Perfect complement to the white couch. I'd keep it simple, though. Let the fireplace "sing" and the cabinet just smile demurely like the southern lady she is!
Your home is lovely and looks so cozy!

lorraines resources and rewards said...

love it jann you did good now I have to go look at paula dean furn have a great day

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That's a great piece of furniture- love the details of it. I wonder how that window picture above would look staged behind the tv (prop it up a tad so the cord/cables can go under it? It might add a fun pop behind the tv which might lessen the tv's look? I know probably too far fetched but it couldn't hurt to try :-)

Jonell w Harrison said...

I recognize that you have a challenge but when you finally settle on what makes you happy and smiling when you look at it you're going to be so happy with this unique piece have fun!

Jonell w Harrison said...

I recognize that you have a challenge but when you finally settle on what makes you happy and smiling when you look at it you're going to be so happy with this unique piece have fun!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

It is large, but it's quite beautiful. I love how you've styled it, and it'll be fun to change it up all year round.

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Jann your piece is great! I do see why you want to keep it simple though, and I love the different whites with the frames. I try to use different white through out my home. I love your sitting area so cozy.
Have a beautiful Spring day! Love the blue skies. Hugs, Jo

Rose L said...

I know the feeling! Mt entertainment center is also very large! It is 9.5 feet wide and 7 feet tall!!! It does come in 3 sections! Yours is lovely!

Cynthia said...

I totally adore this piece. I like the numbers as well. I think if you wax the frames slightly it may be a great contrast. Bird cages would look great with a wooden crate of some sort. I know you have them in your stash.

Cindy

Cherie said...

I would love a sitting room big enough for a gorgeous piece of furniture like that. It looks amazing

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Wow, that piece is gorgeous! I didn't even know Paula Dean had a furniture line! Looks fun to play with!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I have a small cottage and sometimes I make mistakes buying furniture that is too huge. But you entertainement center is white and so I think it just oes well in your room and it'll be easy to decorate.

HWIT BLOGG said...

I just love it Jann! Beautiful furniture!
Your home is so nice and warm, full of inspiration too...
Have a happy saturday and take care!
Love Titti

Leovi said...

Very nice design, wonderful flowers in the drawer !!

Mary Ann Potter said...

I love that big cabinet! You've got lots of wonderful decisions to make; I know you'll have fun with this.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Holy Moly!!!

How much does that beauty weigh?????

It is stunning!! But it would take up one whole room in my tiny townhouse!!

Love it though!!

Thanks so much for all your visits and kind words!!

Hugs,
DEBBIE

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love your new entertainment center!! I'd leave the original chippy finish as is on your old window and center it over your cabinet. I'm sure you'll get it all figured out once you live with it for a while. Your room looks like such a nice cozy space to relax!

Instagram