She Shed Progress. . .

Hello my friends, I wish I could tell you that the she shed is completed.
 
Although we are close, we're not ready to smoke any cigars.  lol!  Hopefully you all know that old saying.
 
I thought I would give you a sneek peek of what's going on.
 

(hubby, son, sil, and grands all helped)
 
We started with a bare spot up on our hill where we had removed the grass fall of 2014.  We thought we would get going on it last year, but time whizzed by and it just didn't happen.

 
It basically had turned into a weed patch.  I actually weeded it a few times.  yup, call me crazy!  They had to dig down and add a layer of gravel before they placed the footings into the ground.

 
Once the crew started working it really went up fast.  Our sil works for a construction company and has his own contractors license. He pours a lot of concrete and I could have done that for the flooring, but I opted to have pavers.
 
I did a big happy dance when the walls were raised.  I could finally catch sight of my vision. 
 

 
When the wood for the roof went on I was so excited that I just about pottied my britches!  :)
 
 
Next came the roof.  You know us woman. . .we have an idea in mind and we just got to stick to it.  lol!  I wanted old rusty tin for the roof because my vision was that the building would look like it had been there for a while and not newly built.  Well, hubby wasn't too thrilled because they would be working with pieces that already had holes.  He found this thicker tin at Metal Mart.  It is treated so that the top layer will rust, but it won't rust through.  More money of course, but if you ask me, worth every penny!!
 

This photo is dark, (I'll probably take a new one in the morning), but you can see that it is already starting to rust.
 
Hubby spent an entire week adding batten and trim.  Lots of time consuming details on this baby.

 
 
 
Although my little "hilltop cottage" is not complete, I am loving it!
 
Eventually I would like to add steps going up from the rock wall to the front instead of always having to walk around
 to the side of the hill.
 
Here's what we still need to do.  The front door area has a small pergola and either flagstone or a porch will be added below.  Oh, but I must say how much I love my Dutch door!
 
 


You know me, I had to play a little with some of my found treasures.
 
We still have to resolve the window problem.  The windows that the plans call for are awesome!  They open outwards instead of sliding.  Noone in the state makes them.  So if we decide to go that route we have to order them and the shipping alone is $250.  Hubby came up with a great solution so that they looked completed for the wedding.  He built screens.
 
 
One side of the shed did not get quite completed.  You can only see it from inside of the fire pit so we felt like we could get by.  Hubby still needs to add battens and I need to stain it.  Notice the cute little vent in the top?  There is one on each side.  I went with a solid stain.  Ace Hardware mixed it for me using a stain base and latex color called Innuendo. There is also going to be a sliding barn door on this end.
 
 
 
I had to share this photo of me painting.  Notice the bad farmers, (or should I say gardeners) tan on my legs?  Geez!
 
These are the pavers and only one side is finished.
 
 
I gave hubby the week off after the wedding. :) Honestly, we were all just tuckered out! 
But then, you know how it goes.  Although we didn't work on the outside, I had to play on the inside.  Just a little I told him. (wink)
 


I was dying to start playing with my junk wood wall.  I had a vision.  Ha, ha!  I've been collecting wood for some time and I couldn't wait to see if it was going to be as fabulous as I had imagined.
 
It takes more wood than you think.  I ran to restore and found a few more pieces to add to it.  Did I tell you that I wanted to do this wall all by myself?  Oh yeah!  Hubby will let me cut the wood into lengths, but he won't let me rip the wood.  He's probably smart!  Some of it has to be cut down for this little puzzle to all come together.  And keeping it level. . .now that's another problem!  Remember, I am married to an engineer.  Level is important!!
 


Originally I thought I wanted to do two walls.  As it's coming together I can see that one is enough.  It's a fun accent and two would just take away from it.  I don't want sheet rock.  I'm thinking of just staining the wood inside.  I had this old hinge and it knew it would be a great little interest piece!



I need to go find another long piece of wood because I'm getting too many short ones.  So for now, the wall has came to a halt as well.

Our home is built where the old McDaniel farm use to be.  Just a few weeks ago we dug up this saw blade while planting a bush we bought for a screen.  Of course it needed to go on the wall!
 

 
I have so many things I want to do inside.  I'd like to add some shelves over the windows for displaying some of my collections.
 
Collections?  Can you believe I have some I want to put out there?  lol!  Not sure what will work, but here's just a few:
  1.  old sprinklers
  2.  watering cans
     3. oil and gas cans
       4.  Coleman coolers
5.  garden tools
 
It will be interesting to see what gets to hang out in 'hilltop cottage'
Yup, from now on that's what my little she shed will be called.
 
Did I mention that I love her?
 
A special thanks to all my fab family that has worked so hard to bring this little gal to life!!
Oh, and I have to tell you, our neighbors came over for a tour and the hubby said, "it looks like it was always meant to be here".  Music to my ears!!
 
hugs,
Jann
 
This post was featured at Funky Junk Interiors for DIY salvaged junk projects  Thanks Donna!
 
I will be sharing with these fun parties:
 
 

48 comments

mjmaterazo said...

oh dear! not enough words. this is absolutely fabulous. i can't wait to see it as you add finalizing touches, but that roof, you're right, is worth every penny. love the pavers as well, and the wood wall, dutch door, i could go on for days... xo- maryjo
https://masterpiecesofmylife.com

Leslie said...

Oh my gosh Jan, You are going to have so much fun with your need she-shed. I can't wait to see what you do.

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Jan. Wow. I just love your new she shed!! How cute it will be when all decorated with your fabulous vintage finds. Have fun with it!
Pam

Laurie said...

Cute as a button!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

It's enjoyable to see your vision come together. This is truly a labor of love!

Carolyn said...

Hi Jann,
I love your Hilltop Cottage ....I am sure you will have lots of fun decorating it!
I enjoyed meeting your friend Karen and hope to see her again sometime.
Our time went by so quickly as I had a tour that morning.

Thanks for your visit and kind words.
Carolyn

Christina Paul said...

How fabulous! What a beautiful space and love the addition of the wood wall and tile! I've been wanting one forever- just showed the post to my husband (hint hint lol) Can't wait to see more finishing touches!

Salmagundi said...

I'm married to an engineer, too; so I know all about that 'level' thing. The wood wall just adds more charm to an already charming hilltop cottage! Sally

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh how wonderful ---- I love it! It looks like it's been there for awhile, just what you wanted. I have always wanted one, but its to late in my life for one.

You are going to have such a great time putting all your treasures in there. Can hardly wait to see the end results.

Have a great week.
Hugs,
Mary

20 North Ora said...

Jann - It is so darling! You all have done an awesome job on it. I wish mine was more of a she shed but it is strickly for storage. Maybe someday I will get rid of all of that stuff and use it for a she shed but for now, that is it's purpose.

Love all the cute things you have done to yours. Love that Dutch door. Great job!

Judy

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

She shed, hilltop cottage, whatever you call it it is FABULOUS! I am very jealous:):) I know you will have a blast finishing it and then enjoying it for a long time to come!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I love it! They did a wonderful job and I know your really going to enjoy your new shed!

Rose L said...

Lookin' good! Such a cute idea!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh my gosh it is absolutely dreamy!!!!

I may just need to hop on a plane and come see for myself when it is finished - it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs! ♥

Pat said...

Jann,
Your "Hilltop Cottage" looks as if it's been there forever, dear friend!
I l o v e how cute it has turned out to be!
Adore your "vignette" with the plant, shovel and lantern!
Oh, my goodness!!! The wood wall is charming!
Amazing hinge and down a saw blade! How unique are those?
EnJOY your little Hilltop Cottage!
I'll be watching for more progress reports, soon!
Fondly,
Pat

Cindy Leaf said...

Hi There Jann,

We are fixin to move to the country and I told my husband I wanted a building of my own, so i can have my mixed media and sewing and everything in between together, no problem. But, I cannot wait to show him the pictures of your "she Cotttage", it is absolutely beautiful and I LOVE the wall with the different wood pieces, I might have to copy that, it is just beautiful. We live in Austin and it is getting crowded and I am ready to be on at least an acre, in a smaller house, that I have time to clean. I am not young anymore and cleaning is not at the top of the list. But if I could have thought of something to build it would be something like you have. Oh, you lucky duck, just think of all the inspiration you will get from YOUR new space. I am going to show him these as soon as he gets home. You said the floor was made of pavers, it appears to be tile??? Have a great weekend and enjoy your cottage!

Cindy Leaf (I am a follower, just don't have the time to leave comments,I know I should, but I would not follow if I did not think what you did was fabulous!)

Stacey said...

This is just awesome Jann! It's so you. The building fits into your yard so well without looking out of place. I can't wait to see what you do.

Mary Ann Potter said...

You know how folks use all capital letters when they want to shout over the internet? Here goes. I LOVE THIS!!! I AM CRAZY ABOUT YOUR DESIGN AND HOW IT'S COMING TOGETHER! A DUTCH DOOR --- COULDN'T BE ANY BETTER. COOL FINDS. A JUNK WOOD WALL!!! I suppose you can tell that I am in love with this cool space of yours.

happyone said...

Oh it is just lovely. What a fantastic job. I love everything about it.

Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes said...

Oh, Jan! It's so exciting to watch Hilltop Cottage come to life! You have all been working so hard to make your dream come true. A Dutch door... be still my heart! Can't wait for a tour one day! ♡

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

This is so awesome! I love how you have made it look as if it has always been there! It has turned out amazing, and your junk wood wall looks wonderful! How neat that you found an old saw blade from the original place. Enjoy your new she-shed, so exciting!

Kim said...

Oh wow oh wow....what a glorious she-shed your hilltop cottage is. How lovely it looks nestled in your garden. Love that dutch door and the wall of all those different planks is inspired. I can't wait to see what wonderful whimsy you dream up when you decorate it with 'one or two' of your collections.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

So exciting to see the progress. I love the outside color you picked and I love the scrap wood wall. How fabulous that the grounds around it are so pretty and perfect for it. Can't wait for the final reveal!

decorayadora said...

Hi dear Jann !! Me quede impacta da por esa bella construcción .. Adore ese verde en que esta pintado todo

Two Cottages And Tea said...

So happy for you Jann! I can almost feel your excitement over your little gem! Looking forward to more pictures as you make it your own!
Hugs, Nancy

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

I'm in love!!!! What a charming and lovely accent - you will have so much fun playing in your new hilltop cottage!!!!!

Joy Junktion said...

WOW Jann! That is one cool 'she shed'! Kind of like giving birth to your child, huh?? She's going to be a great place! Thanks for sharing the process so far! And kudos to your family of men!! Blessings, Cindy xo

Doreen@foxdenrd said...

This is a dream come true! It's so lovely Jann, and I know you're going to enjoy it for many years to come!

Sharon@bluewillowhouse said...

So jealous I can't have a she shed in my neighborhood. Can't wait until the She Shed is all done. It is going to be one fabulous space.

My thrift store addiction said...

Jann, sounds like I'm not the only one with a bad case of she-shed envy, lol! It is wonderful and I know it will be delightfully decorated! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm--pinning!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What an amazing dream come true for you! Enjoy all the continued work to make your special place--it's fabulous!

Art and Sand said...

That is NOT a shed - it's a house and it's adorable.

Bernideen said...

How adorable Jan! What a great fun place!

Creations By Cindy said...

I can see you now....having so much fun in your shed! Love it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Oh, my, it has so much charm. It really looks like it has always been there.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

This is no shed!! This is a dollhouse for a grownup! LOVE it; it's amazing.

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Hi Jann, there is no doubt that you are in love. lol What a wonderful place to create. Does snow clearing come with it? lol Can't wait to see what you do inside! xx jo

Marie-Interior Frugalista said...

Oh my goodness, Jann, I LOVE your shed! The design is fabulous and your special touch to the interior is perfect. Pinning to share and show Mr. Frugalista to drop some subtle hints.

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

Jann....Oh my gosh!! I am giddy and excited for you! Seriously, this is the cutest EVER!! Wow, how awesome, and your wall inside....heavenly!! Love love love it all!

foreverdecorating said...

I'm glad that I found you through Funky Junk Interiors. What a cool shed. I am a gardener like you and I can't wait to explore your blog. Terry at foreverdecorating.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Shed? She cave?
Just put a toilet in there, and I would call it home!

Joy said...

We actually have this shed. We had it built in 2004 from plans in Handyman magazine. It has reappeared in a 2014 issue. We love this shed and have had many admirers. We did put a loft in the large section of the shed for extra storage.. I'm sure you will get many hours of enjoyment!!!!

Jacki @ Blue Fox Farm said...

Love your shed - you'll have a lot of great things happen in it, I'm sure. We're so on the same page, with junk to decorate, and a respect for the age of rust. Good one!

Suzie Q said...

This has to be a dream come true. What woman wouldn'd want a building like this. Just curious...is it setting on rafters or a permanent foundation.? My out building sits on rafters. Has something to do that if moveable,on rafters, and not a permanentfoundation, then taxes are less.

Amanda said...

Ship your husband to my house!!!! HURRY

Wickiup Junction said...

Great job! We're​ also working on an outdoor pizza oven room project and used the same roofing had an issue with condensation dripping on the underside of the metal, have you had that problem?

Vita Powlison said...

I finally see something I LOVE! Wow You can be my best friend. I can understand you excitement. This She shed is beautiful !

Instagram