Getting My CHEVRON On. . .& Progress Report

As many of you already know, the chevron pattern is so ‘hot’ right now.

I am seeing it in quilt patterns, clothing, and even furniture.

I thought is was about time I got my CHEVRON on.

I’ve mentioned in previous posts that we are finishing our basement.  There is a small area under the stairs that will be made into a play area for the grandies.  Here it is in all it’s unfinished glory.

IMG_0177 

I thought it would be fun to decorate it like a little outdoor café.

Six or so months ago I picked up a childs cupboard at a thrift store for $4.  It was in sad shape and needed a little TLC.  I took some beadboard to my friend, Amanda’s husband.  He used it to replace the rotted back piece.  He also added a cute scalloped bottom and doors.  That was an additional $20.

It had yellow Formica on top that had blue and mustard swirls running through it.  Using paint I already had I gave it a face lift.  Hubby is going to add a decorative trim on the edge of the Formica.

IMG_0167

You might remember this table that I recently found for $15.

IMG_9977_thumb[2]

I painted it to match the cupboard.   Blue, yellow, and white.  I felt that it needed something.  I wondered about a graphic but then I decided to give the top a chevron style.

IMG_0172

Thanks to my Engineer hubby it was easy peasy.  He came home from work yesterday and I said, “hon, I need your help to draw up a Chevron.”  I walked over to my lap top and said,“I’ll show you what I mean.”  He replied, “I know what a chevron is”.  I said, “No, it’s not a truck.”  He replied, “yeah, it’s a design that looks like this.” He proceeded to draw it out with his hand.  Who knew, he was so style savvy?  He quickly got out some paper, his ruler, and pencil.  In no time he had drawn it up.

I then only had to tape off and stencil.  Like I said, Easy Peasy!

Years ago I bought a small chair at an estate sale for $2.  Glory be, it fit perfectly under the table.  I still need to wax all three pieces.

IMG_0170

Cute little child sized outdoor café. Notice I took it outdoors to give you the real feel? lol!

Let me take your order please!

IMG_0171

Now quickly a few pics of our basement progress.  We are finally getting to the ‘fun’ part.

Brick wall in the theater room.  Wait till you see what I have to hang on it.  I know that theater rooms are on their way ‘out’.  But it was in our house plans and the room has no windows.  Figured we might as well do it.  The older grandies are ever so excited.  Not to mention my hubby.

IMG_0176

They started bricking the fireplace also.  It will have a white mantle.

IMG_0178

The bathroom tile.  When my hubby came home and saw it he said, “you chose B & W for the bathroom?”  I said, “yes, it’s gonna be so cute!”  I loved my friends Dru from  Country Farm Home B & W in her keeping room.  This is a lot smaller and doesn’t compare to hers, but I love it already!

IMG_0179

Fireplace should be finished today.  I am having so much fun seeing it all come together.

Hope you have a wonderful day!  Be sure and hop back later and join in “Share Your Cup”!

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Knick of Time Tuesday

Ivy and Elephants for What's it Wednesday

The Vintage Farmhouse for Creative Things Thursday

Katherines Corner for Thursday's Favorite Things

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

Made in a Day for Made U Look

Hope in Every Season for Homemaking

24 comments

Ky said...

Mom, Its looking so FAB! Can't wait to see it someday soon, hopefully sooner than later. All I know is we will be home for christmas!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann! Oh my word what a neat post!

first, the lil cafe is awesome. My girls would have loved something like that when they were little.

As for your basement finishing, whoo hoo is that going to be awesome!!!! It will be such an often used space, I am so excited for you!

Hugs.

Chenille Cottage said...

You've done it again, Jann! Just look at the transformation. You've created the cutest kid's corner with your amazing finds. I love the soft blue and oh...the chevrons. Paint is just magical.

I can't wait to see your basement when it's complete. You have the magic touch and an amazing handy husband.

I hope you are having a great week, my sweet friend.
Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo

Thank you for your dear sweet visits and lovable comments!

Shirley Hatfield said...

How fun, Jann! I love work being done on the house...except if it disrupts my crafting...lol! I have a brick wall in my basement and black and white tiles for the bathroom...great minds think alike! But alas...I do not have the understairs playhouse...and I would looooooove one! But it's not to be...the layout of the basement wouldn't permit it. It's looking great, cute friend!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

I love seeing your creative ideas being implemented.

The chevron striped table is cute, and my favourite colours.

Sue xo

Pam said...

Hi Jann, Super cute kids area. I had the same black and white tiles in my kitchen, which I loved, but had to replace it when we had a major water leak! I miss it soooo much! xo Pam

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jann,
Love what you did with the child size furniture!! So pretty and I am sure it will delight the grands!!
Love the fire place and i would die to have one in my little townhouse but I really don't have a wall anywhere to put it on....

Hugs,
Debbie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Like the redo on the cabinet, table and chair - the grands are going to love playing in their new space. Looking forward to seeing more.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jann,

Just look what you are creating!! It is so fabulous and I am so thrilled for you!! Love this black and white too!

Oh and the children's chevron table and little hutch-I see happy grand babies!!!

Love it all!!
Hugs to you!
Jemma

Gina said...

Oh wow! Everything is moving along. I love the black & white flooring and the furniture is so much fun!

Unknown said...

Wow - you have as much going on as I do lol - which is a LOT!!!
Love all of it - especially the black and white floor - the plan is to do that in my kitchen!
Hugs,
Suzan

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

I never play the lottery. So I never win. Now I might buy a ticket. Because if I win I am bringing MY grands out to visit and play at YOUR place with YOUR grands....oh I love this post with the cute kids furniture! How clever! Jann this is just adorable! :)

Old Time Cindy said...

The grands area will be so cute with all that you have done already. I like the black and white floor...did you lay it yourself?
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Cute table with the chevrons. I have my childhood cupboard with a formica top. I will have to show it sometime on my blog.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your little cupboard and table and chair are adorable! Our man cave is turning into a play area for our grandchildren, too, but that's fine with me!

LOVE the black and white floor!

chateau chic said...

Your little cafe pieces are so cute!! Love the colors and of course, the chevron!! It is fun to see your basement coming together. Can't wait to see the finished reveal.
And thank you for hosting each week!
Mary Alice

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

Such a sweet comment from your daughter:)

Your basement is going to look fabulous. I love black and white tiles....so classic!

Can't wait to see the full reveal!

xo
Sumaya

Sumaya at Evocative Vintage said...

Such a sweet comment from your daughter:)

Your basement is going to look fabulous. I love black and white tiles....so classic!

Can't wait to see the full reveal!

xo
Sumaya

DomesticSuperhero.com said...

Wow I love this and the chevron! It looks so nice! I would love for you to come by and link this or another project/recipe at my brand new link party, starting this morning!! Hope to see you! http://domesticsuperhero.com/2013/03/07/domestic-superhero-sharing-thursday-1

Sarah Coller said...

Jann---this is amazing. How adorable! I want to play at your little cafe! Thanks so much for sharing at my linkup today,

Mrs. Sarah Coller

SewSweetVIntage said...

Super cute table and chair!!!! Love that shade of blue:)
http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/02/flourless-knockout-ninja-brownies.html

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

How exciting! I love what you have done so far, and the idea of turning the space under the stairs into a playroom is very clever.

Kathy M.

Katherines Corner said...

love the blue and white! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

Sarah Coller said...

Hi Jann,

Just wanted to let you know I featured this today at the Homemaking Linkup. Feel free to grab a "featured" button from my sidebar, if you'd like!

Sarah

Instagram