Feelin Blue. . .

For years blue was always my favorite color.  Although I still like it I found that I had less and less of it in my home.  Red had begun to take over.  I had pops of blue here and there, but nothing like I use to.  Then about three years ago I fell in love with the red/aqua combo.  Blue began to creep back into my life.

Lately I have been feelin blue more than ever.  A few months ago I started decorating the guest bedroom in the basement.  Originally, it was not going to be a bedroom.  We thought we would make it a game room or an office for hubby.  We have a guest bedroom upstairs.  The room is quite small so we didn’t install a closet.

The more we thought about it we decided a bedroom would be nice to have down there.

I remembered an old armoire that I had and my son was storing it in his garage.  It wasn’t an antique.  I bought it from a friend years ago and it came from Leather, Oak, and Brass.

I painted it with A S Duck Egg Blue.  I let some of the wood show through and then I sanded the edges and waxed it with both clear and dark wax.

IMG_2746

Before pic in my workspace (garage).  My master bed is out there now getting a make over.

IMG_1833

IMG_2753

IMG_2752

I painted the brass hardware white, but thinking I might change it to something with a little more bling.

IMG_2754

I had some fun on the inside.  I covered the drawers with scrapbook paper.  Just used Modge Podge to adhere it.  Our daughter and sil will be staying with us for a few months.  I placed a couple of her blankets inside as a welcome home.  The top quilt I made for her when she was attending college.

IMG_2748

Hubby removed the pull out tray that once held a t.v. and I covered the shelf in book pages.  The little jewelry box has feathers on it.  Kylee loves feathers and has a nickname of kyafeather.  I bought a rod and hung inside so they could hang a few shirts.

IMG_2749

I have their nighties hanging close by.  lol!  I can just picture  my sil in those long johns.

IMG_2756

They are arriving home tonight.  Hope they feel welcome!

I took pictures of the room (before it gets all messy) and I will share the rest of it with you in a couple of days.  I’m sure they will be so tired and will need some catching up on their sleep.

hugs,

Jann

Thank you Sandi for featuring this post at your Home Party!

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday

I am Not a Trophy Wife for Friday Favorites

How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

Sunday View for Inspired Sunday

One More Time Events for Share it One More Time

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

A Stroll thru Life for Inspire me Tuesday

The Scoop

Savvy Southern Style for Wow

A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday

38 comments

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Wow! What a transformation! Please link up to Friday Favs at http://imnotatrophywife.com

laura

Maureen Wyatt said...

It is just charming in it's new colour, with all those sweet accents.
How lucky for you to have them home for awhile!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That came out beautiful! I love Duck Egg Blue.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann, you did a marvelous job with that gorgeous armoire!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend - enjoy your company, don't you love it when family comes to visit??

Hugs.

Art and Sand said...

Love the color of the cabinet . . . love the design of the cabinet . . . love the way you decorated the shelves.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Jann, wow the armoire is so pretty and I love the color. What a difference it made reprinting it! I hope you don't get tired of me telling you how talented & creative you are! Have a nice weekend.
Julie

Kris said...

Oh Jann, you did a fabulous job with this piece! It looks terrific! Makes me want to PAINT!!! Your daughter and SIL will feel most welcome and comfy in their new digs. Hope they get some good rest, and will be full of wonderful stories to tell.
Loved the seed box too, from previous post. I am way behind.
XO Kris

priscilla said...

Love the armoire ! It is fabulous ! I am sure your daughter and her husband will love it !

Susanne said...

I love what you have done with that piece - it is a real showcase piece now. And, of course, I'm especially delighted to see how you used the scrapbook paper inside. Well done!

ThrifterSisters said...

Oh my goodness, Jann. That is absolutely stunning. I can't imagine that a single one of us followers would turn that beauty away! It's just perfection.

~Erica

mimi_62 said...

Love it, Jann. It is beautimous.

Anonymous said...

Great job! Oh they will love the room, Jann!

I'm welcoming blue back into my home, too. Once upon a time I had blue carpet, blue kitchen cabinets, and even dishes. I guess I kind of tired of it! :)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

GORGEOUS makeover Jann...I LOVE IT!!!

Junkchiccottage said...

Jann,
It looks great. I love the color and the finish you did. Just beautiful. Enjoy having the kids home.
Kris

Victorian1885 said...

It is lovely! Duck Egg Blue is my favourite AS paint colour and I can't seem to get enough of it. Great job!

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Looks like a beautiful place to lay your head, lucky guests!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann what a gorgeous makeover of the armoire! I know you are excited to have your daughter and sil with you! Enjoy!

Cynthia said...

Jann this is a gorgeous makeover, I love it!!!! I have an armoire in storage that I want to make over when we get into the new house and put in my office for all my paints and supplies. I can't wait. Just gorgeous, girl!!!

Cynthia

Unknown said...

What a nice comfortable room and I love how your armoire turned out!~~Angela

Rose L said...

I am so glad you are feeling blue again! Looks great!

Winnie said...

It looks totally different and I looooooooooove it :)

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love it in blue and I adore the fact that the inside is full of surprises!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love it...so pretty inside and out!! It turned out great!!
hugs, Cindy

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I love the outside, but even more the inside. It's full of charm, and the bookpages are really a nice, unique touch. Thank you for stopping by and following my blog. I look forward to follow all your projects

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Love the color. Great idea with covering drawers with scrap paper and midge pose. Might need to do that with a chest,of drawers in one of my guest bedrooms. Have a
Lovely day!

Tea in the Library said...

Big project. Came out great. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Love this! Love the choice of paper on the inside! And the paint color!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Jann, I LOVE your armoire, and I love the colour aqua so this is a winner with me! Gorgeous job and I'm sure your loved ones will feel right at home. Thanks for sharing at my HOME and have a wonderful new week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Fran said...

I love EVERYTHING about that armoire! The curvy legs, the color, the way you lined the inside...spectacular. And your daughter is coming home! You must be so, so excited to spend some time with her and her hubby. Have a wonderful week! :) --Fran

Annesphamily said...

I love the armoire! So beautiful and I am sure they are happy in this lovely space you have created! I have a dark cherry open desk that I want to paint in a shade of aqua. Any suggestions?

Karie said...

Oh, my gosh, what a beautiful piece of furniture. Love the color. You did a beautiful job on it. Hugs, Karie

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a gorgeous makeover...!!! Love the color!

Anonymous said...

I can't think of a better way to welcome them home, with all this tender love and care, of course they will feel welcome. Love the added touch of the nighties. I'm also loving (and actually plan to use your great idea) on the book pages.

Allison @ Cozy Home Interiors said...

Looks great! I also recently finished a project using AS Duck Egg Blue on an Entertainment Unit. Great job!

Betty@SouthernGrace said...

That is very pretty and I love what you did to the inside also.

Tea Cottage Pretties said...

I am totally in love with your BLUE this piece. I love the blue and OH MY the lovely insides. What a beautiful piece. Hugs, Beverly

Laura said...

This turned out great, Jann! I have a piece of oak furniture like that and I think I will definitely venture out into AS paint and wax. What fun! I love all the details inside, too.
Thanks for linking up with Inspired Sunday.

Kathy said...

This is gorgeous! Love the blue, the lined shelves - beautifully done! I do apprecate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Instagram