Inspiration from Pinterest

I know that so many of us have fallen in love with Pinterest.  After all, what’s not to love?  Ideas, recipes, inspirational quotes, etc. just a click away.  So much inspiration  to help make ‘All our dreams come true’. lol!
I must admit, I was a little slow climbing on to the band wagon.  My oldest daughter, Nichole kept telling me that it would be much easier for me to ‘create a board’ than to have all of those things saved into my favorites.
Glad that I finally took her up on it.  Although, we must remember to ‘fall off the band wagon’ every now and then.  Lots of hours can be wasted just clicking away!
A couple weeks ago I saw this picture on Confessions of a Plate Addict.  A pillow made from a plaid jacket.  PINNED!
ec40510f5e9c7a3b2fbfc9752cb44c9a
I have always been Mad About Plaid!  (You can click on the words to see my Pinterest Board if you’re interested).
For me this pillow was instant love.  Last week my sister and I went to a thrift shop.  I decided to check out the clothing for anything plaid.  I didn’t find a darling jacket, but I found a cute dress for $4.
IMG_2914
IMG_2915
I removed the collar and started cutting and sewing.  My son borrowed my camera so I am taking these with my phone.  Not the best quality, but this girl couldn’t wait to show you!
IMG_0600
IMG_2916
I actually tried draping the collar over the large pillow but I thought it looked too much like a dress.  I’m sure I’ll find something to do with it.
IMG_0601
I backed them with burlap and I still have some plaid fabric to add strips here and there to my outdoor decor.  These are going to go out on my Christmas porch.  I added my rain boots and tucked a little evergreen tree inside one of them. 
IMG_0603
Oh,and look!  It doesn’t stop there. . .a while back I found this plaid purse at the same thrift store for $1.50
plaid
Won’t it be cute filled with pine boughs and maybe a pinecone or two?  I had to give them all a dusting of snow so I could get that cozy outdoor feeling.
How about you?  Are you ‘mad about plaid’?
I will be sharing with these fun parties:
The Dedicated House for Make it Pretty Monday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
The Scoop
Kathe with an e for You're Gonna Love it Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow
Common Ground for Be Inspired
A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday
Rose Chintz Cottage for Home
Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
What About Co. for Show Off Friday

This post was featured at:  http://sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.ca/2013/12/home.html

33 comments

Jeannie Marie said...

I'm with you, I'm mad about plaid! I love how you repurposed the dress! You are so clever!

Salmagundi said...

Glad to see you are now stalking thrift stores for plaid. Just leave the stores in Colorado for me to stalk!!! Sally

Unknown said...

I just love your bench that you are displaying your pillows on, it looks so well together.
hugs, Lynnie

Sarah said...

Yes, I'm definitely mad for plaid. I pinned Debbie's pillow immediately, and now I'll pin your version too. I've had my eyes searching for a plaid dress or jacket, but no luck yet. Patience! Your pillows and porch vignette are adorable. Alison @ The Polohouse is featuring Plaid Tidings for her Favorites on the First. You'll need to link up this post.
Happy Thanksgiving!

priscilla said...

So cute ! Going to have to look for some plaid at the thrift shops !

Debby Ray said...

Oh Jann...How I can SO relate to your post! I just LOVE your pillows! I have always loved red tartan plaid, especially at Christmastime. Those dresses from the 90's were everywhere, weren't they? I had one with a gigantic black velvet collar... lol! I made s skirt from the dress part and used that lovely black velvet to trim a Christmas stocking I made for one of my grandchildren. I actually was kind of sad when those dresses went out of style. You can still find several items of red plaid in my closet or in my sewing stash! Now you got MY wheels turning :)

Winnie said...

BEAUTIFUL !!
I love the jacket.
BTW - I have a skirt like this :)
You'd love it

Susie said...

Oh kudos Jann !! That is so darn cute. I love the pillows. xoxo,Susie

Pamela Gordon said...

I love your plaid pillows! Wow, they turned out beautifully. I like plaid at Christmas and in the fall but it doesn't really go with my decor colours. Have a great week and a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs, Pam

Dewena said...

Yes, I am mad about plaid and watch for it at thrift stores. I confess I never do anything as creative as what you have here. Thank you for the ideas!

retrorevival.biz said...

OMGosh, these are adorable! Really nice job!

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Oh....these are so very cute!!! Between Pinterest and blogs like yours, I'm surprised I get anything done, LOL!

Tea in the Library said...

We are So in sync at times I have to laugh. I am mad about plaid too. I have a Plaid board and recently pinned the same picture. And I have a picture of myself from a few Christmas' ago (10) in what looks like the SAME dress you bought at the thrift shop! I had just said to my daughter 'I wish I had that plaid Christmas dress - I'd make pillows out of it. I love plaid tins and plaid flannel - which you'll be seeing in my Christmas posts . As much as I like seeing something new or inspiring, what touches me is finding the things we in Blog land have in common. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we may live a continent apart but when I read your blog I feel like we truly are neighbors. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Jill said...

So cute and what a great idea!!

How did we ever survive before Pinterest came along?? Hah!

Cynthia said...

Oh Jann, I absolutely LOVE these!!! I wish I could come over and steal them, LOL!!!!

Cynthia

lynne said...

So impressed, Jann! That is amazing! Again I bemoan my lack of sewing skills.....

Christine at Little Brags said...

wow, what a great idea!! LOVE IT

sandi s said...

I love your pillows and the whole little set up! I love plaid also.

Jen said...

Goodness I love this idea! Next time I go thrifting I'll have to see if any plaid is available. Fantastic! Visiting from The Dedicated House (Make It Pretty Monday).

The Farmers Daughter said...

I was slow to warm up to Pinterest, too, but now I'm addicted! So much talent!
Hugs,
Dru

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Super cute!! I love what Debbie made and now you. I'm going to be looking for plaid items at the thrift shops now!!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love plaid, it looks so cosy at this time of the year, and it's even better with some velvet!

The Old Parsonage said...

Well are you just a smarty pants!!! Love love love it!!!

Have fun decorating!!

Happy Thanksgiving my friend!
Leann

Unknown said...

Love the pillows, plaid is great for those holiday touches. I also love the red boots :)
Thanks for stopping by my pinterest post. Funny, my daughter told me the same thing, "mom it is much easier for you to create a pinterest board for the things you like and plans you have for things", made me chuckle out loud when you said your daughter told you this, too!
Have a wonderful holiday.
Michele

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh my goodness...I LOVE your pillows! Now you'll have me looking at dresses, too! Thanks for the shout out!...hugs...Debbie

Rose L said...

What a cute idea! I have never seen Pinterest. Guess I should check it out!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

LOVE, love your plaid, Jann! The pillows are so cute and so are the boots. Really cute vignette! Thank you for sharing at my HOME and enjoy your celebration tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

Blessings,
Sandi

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm mad about your plaid! Love the pillows you styled and now I'm pinning your plaid.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jann! Oh, you did so good on your little plaid pillows! I'm mad about them too~ :) I don't think I have any Christmas plaids at my house!
Hope your Thanksgiving was good.Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Calypso In The Country said...

Love the pillows! I am mad about plaid too!
-Shelley

Sarah said...

I'm still looking for a perfect plaid to restyle into a Christmas pillow. '-)
Love your tartan boots!

Unknown said...

Just look at you, Jann! These are great. Glad you found the dress, and I love the vignette with the boots and pillows! Too cute!

Lulu said...

Good for you for being inspired and following up on it. I have good intentions but don't always manage to make them happen.

Instagram