Randomness. . .

Just wondering, do you like randomness in the garden?  you know, things popping up in unexpected places.  Or do you like everything all neat and tidy?

Myself, I love randomness!

Like this Morning Glory vine that seeded and curled right up onto my front porch.

garden 001

It also climbed it’s way up this sunflower. Another bit of randomness.

garden 002

I love this one that climbed up two of my old rakes.

garden 006

Last year I had lots of giant sunflowers pop up in various places in my front yard.  This year they returned,  The heads are a lot smaller, but they are ever so tall.

garden 004

I just pulled out all of my pansies from this bed.  Last year I planted Petunias in amongst the pansies so that I would have color all summer.  When the pansies were still pretty up until Fall I decided to forego the planting of the Petunias.  Wouldn’t you know it that it was extra hot this year and now I have no color.  The single white Alyssum is another bit of randomness that reseeded from last year.  Didn’t have the heart to pull it out.

Another cute little random sunflower.

garden 005

This is the second year that portulaca has came back in my beds by the front porch.  It’s scattered randomly here and there.  It surprises me because I pull them all out every fall.

garden 012

Another surprising thing is the fact that I have three butterfly bushes that just grew in my yard, They are just starting to bloom.  I never planted one of them.  They randomly reseeded from my neighbors.

garden 007

There you have it, a bit of randomness at my home.

hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with these fun parties:

Sunday View for Inspired Sunday

27 comments

Sarah said...

Randomness gets my vote. '-)

Art and Sand said...

I love randomness, but I am furious with my neighbor's morning glory. It is pervasive. We had to chop it down - on our side of the fence only - because it was smothering our palm tree.

priscilla said...

That's my kind of gardening .. just let them grow :) Very pretty Jann !

NanaDiana said...

I love those random volunteers that seem to pop up hither and thither. They make me smile a bit and I wonder where their mother plant is- xo Diana

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jann I would love some random gorgeous flowers like you have! :)

Linda

Di said...

Jann I never knew what to call it but that is me, random gardener.

Patti said...

Pretty, pretty yard! I like surprises, too. I was noticing your white screen door!

Cynthia said...

Jann, you have such beautiful things that bloomed randomly.

Cynthia

Unknown said...

I love randomness especially when it's that pretty!!~~Angela

Gayle said...

YES! Your random garden is so lovely - my favorite is the morning glory climbing the rakes - how fun!

marie said...

I love randomness in my garden...and I especially love those little volunteers that come back to visit the following year.
I've never tried growing sunflowers. I think my grandbabies would love those. I'd also love to try putting in a Morning Glory plant. It looks so neat climbing up the rakes!
Thanks for sharing the pretty photos. I really love the first one!

Jennifer Hays said...

I lean toward randomness too. Your garden is so pretty! I love portulacas; my grandparents grew them and I always enjoyed looking at theirs.

Rose L said...

IF NOT FOR RANDOMNESS, I WOULD HAVE NO GARDEN!

lynn cockrell said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us, Jann. Everything looks beautiful! As to random gardening, I would be in trouble if I did not like it, because I am just too lazy to try and keep a formal garden in good shape. I think it also speaks to our creative nature, don't you? Hope you are having a wonderful week.

cynthia lee designs said...

Jann,
Everything looks so pretty...randomness and all!!
hugs,
Cindy

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

That morning glory growing on your old rakes would make anyone vote for randomness!

sweetvintageofmine said...

Oh yes, I love to see where mother nature decides to place ones self! The morning glories climbing on the rakes are beautiful!!! LOVE them! Blessings~~Roxie

bj said...

I do love random ANYthing...:));...especially flowers.xoxo

Stacey Johnson said...

I love a creative garden taht becomes what it will!

Fran said...

I'm with you--randomness is good! :)

GranthamLynn said...

Beautiful gardens. I miss sunflowers and morning glories.
Thank you for sharing yours!
Have a beautiful week.
Come by and see me and check out my lemon pie post today!

Tea in the Library said...

especially love the rakes and MGs

Bernideen said...

I like the "floor plan" of the garden to be symmetrical and the plantings asymmetrical!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Beautiful!

I like randomness....I have always been attracted to the cottage garden look versus formal ones.

And then I prefer either over what I call mulch gardens...people spending a fortune on mulch to mulch around a few plants, lol...I see far too much of that around my area.

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a neat post all about summer! I really enjoyed it!
Hugs..Nancy

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I think volunteers are a wonderful thing - be they people or plants! You have beautiful flowers, random or not. I love random surprise flowers. I bought a couple of packets of mixed flower seeds this year, unfortunately not many have sprouted--yet. It said on the packages that some may be biennials and sprout next season. I'll be waiting.

Laura Turner said...

Yes, I love randomness with plants too! I have flowering vines that grow into other plants and make surprising and lovely "bouquets." Wish I got flowers from my neighbors' yards - all I get are weeds or palm trees!!!! Ugh!
Laura

Instagram